Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
So, as the title suggests, I took part in my 13th game jam this weekend. I have yet to get even close to winning one sadly, but I felt this one's entry was a decent game that I would share with y'all. it's called C.W.I.S. As the name suggests it is a game based around the CWIS on a naval warship. The main aim of this game is survival. You have missiles been shot at you constantly from all directions and it is your job to keep them from hitting your ship at all costs.

If anyone is interested in giving it a go then you can follow the widget below to play it in browser or download a executable if you wish. I'm aware that the game over screen buttons break the game, so you may need to restart the game if you wish to play an additional round. I also uploaded a time lapse video of the game's development which can also be seen below.

Game Link:
https://carter-games.itch.io/cwis

Time Lapse Video:

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
That looks amazing from the video, I hope I'll remember to give it a try tomorrow!

Where did you learn game development? I'd love to try getting into it myself to maybe do something creative for once (You can only get so creative developing apps and Backend Services...)

Reactions: Jonathan

Anthony Smith

Believe it or not, I believe in you!
Administrator
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
good job, my advice next time would be to tackle this type of video naratively such as

hi I'm bob, this is the story of making the game _____

I decided on this type of game for X reason and set out with this goal in mind

soon I realized that I needed to build a function for XYZ which took me a while to figure out...

This is when I started working on the logo for the game which has it's own challenges because...

and here we are with the end product (a few minutes of gameplay at normal speed)

taking the narative approach helps bring people in and increase the human element, empathy, etc and as a result may do wonders for your watch time and recommendations on the algorithm. As a side bonus you may be able to inspire others to join in on events like this by inspiring many more people!

just my two cents and constructive criticism. Good video BTW!!

Reactions: Jonathan

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
That looks amazing from the video, I hope I'll remember to give it a try tomorrow!

Where did you learn game development? I'd love to try getting into it myself to maybe do something creative for once (You can only get so creative developing apps and Backend Services...)

I studied it for 5 years, college/uni. The best way I would say is to start small and follow a beginners tutorial on a simple game like roll a ball from unity and go from there...

good job, my advice next time would be to tackle this type of video naratively such as

hi I'm bob, this is the story of making the game _____

I decided on this type of game for X reason and set out with this goal in mind

soon I realized that I needed to build a function for XYZ which took me a while to figure out...

This is when I started working on the logo for the game which has it's own challenges because...

and here we are with the end product (a few minutes of gameplay at normal speed)

taking the narative approach helps bring people in and increase the human element, empathy, etc and as a result may do wonders for your watch time and recommendations on the algorithm. As a side bonus you may be able to inspire others to join in on events like this by inspiring many more people!

just my two cents and constructive criticism. Good video BTW!!

Yea, I do have a video in the works like this, I was waiting until the rating period had ended so I could also reflect on the final results of the jam and how my game did in it xD. The results were last night... The time lapse was more of an uncut video to kind of display the process from start to finish, and was also a filler video while I try and edit a more polished piece together xD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony Smith

Anthony Smith

Believe it or not, I believe in you!
Administrator
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
I studied it for 5 years, college/uni. The best way I would say is to start small and follow a beginners tutorial on a simple game like roll a ball from unity and go from there...

Yea, I do have a video in the works like this, I was waiting until the rating period had ended so I could also reflect on the final results of the jam and how my game did in it xD. The results were last night... The time lapse was more of an uncut video to kind of display the process from start to finish, and was also a filler video while I try and edit a more polished piece together xD.
SWEET!! keep us posted in this thread!!