Dillon

Freedom! Member
Jun 3, 2014
YouTube
Ok: long informational rant incoming. But I promise this will help your YouTube Channel overall.

Part 1: Your YouTube channel should be relevant, consistently. Decide what you want to film/upload, and keep it relevant. It's fine to break away from the norm occasionally, but your subscribers expect the same quality/content regularly. On this note, be sure to use relevant tags in your uploads and titles; you can take a little liberty in word choice to make it sound catchy and instill curiosity that will make potential viewers want to click. ClickBait is a thing for a reason, after all. It's enticing (but DON'T lie about content). This includes your thumbnail for your videos as well. Keep it relevant, but make sure it draws attention. Consult a designer/media consultant/YouTuber if you're unsure.

Part 2: If you have a Facebook for your YouTube page, make sure to update as much information about it as you can. Go to your Settings option and update your Biography, "About" sections, and your "Impressum" (a formal declaration of what your page is about and who owns it, etc. - some countries require this information to be viewable).

2.A: Long story short here, Facebook likes to promote things *directly* uploaded to Facebook, not just linked from YouTube (they're mortal enemies. No, really). If you have a sizable video, make a short trailer of the best parts to incite excitement, and upload directly to Facebook as a teaser (don't forget a link to YouTube at the end, via Facebook's "Watch More" option). Also, 9 times out of 10, any post will reach more viewers if you attach a photo/video to it. Don't ask me why, but it works. A post without may reach 15 people, but sometimes a post with a picture/video will reach several hundred. (Edit: Video uploads reach more people. Period. How many Facebook videos have gone viral? Think about it..)

Part 3: DON'T fall into the "sub-for-sub" crap. In case you haven't researched, YouTube doesn't care about how many subscribers you have. Current algorithms amount to this: Watch duration + views = money. You could have 5 subscribers but make more than someone who has 300 (if their viewers don't watch regularly). The bottom line is this: make content short, but interesting, and you'll do better than some random person who amounts followers "just because". You should only subscribe if you're truly impressed by what you see, otherwise it's an empty number. Be sure to check your YouTube analytics to stay up-to-date on where you stand.

ON THE FLIP SIDE: Few people address the psychology of numbers. If you see a channel with, let's say, 10,000 subscribers, chances are you're going to check it out. If 10,000 people subscribed, they simply *must* have enjoyable content, right? Keep this in mind, but don't be an empty subscriber. It seriously doesn't get anyone anywhere unless you're actively watching their content.

Part 4: UPDATE REGULARLY. Whether it's your Facebook page, Tumblr, Twitter, YouTube, whatever: the key to succeeding in social media is to post often. If you neglect your social networking or fail to upload consistently, you run the risk of losing interest. Make sure you promote platforms that you intend on keeping up to date: no point in asking people to follow you on Twitter, SnapChat, etc. if you never update them.

I really hope this helps. I've learned a LOT in my 2 years on YouTube/social media. If you have any comments/suggestions, POST THEM BELOW, so we can help each other grow as a community, and as YouTubers overall.

Thanks, and good luck!!!

Dillon

Freedom! Member
Jun 3, 2014
YouTube
That depends largely on your content. In my experience, I've seen a ton of gaming channels go under simply because it's such a flooded market. So if that's your niche', you've got to bring something very special to the table.
It's part of the reason I don't often do gaming videos.
Otherwise, my best advice is to research key words you can use in your YouTube tags - find ways to relate your content to popular topics without lying about it. You can also expand your marketing to multiple social networks. Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc are all good options. If you do that, make sure to use those platforms for more than just promoting. It's important to connect with viewers/commenters as often as you can: feedback and socializing is key.
If all else fails, and you're lucky, maybe you can team up with similar YouTubers in your genre and collaborate. Easier said than done, but that's a fantastic way to broaden your audience (for both of you!).
I hope this helps, and I'm happy to give more advice if you'd like :)

P.S. I'll check out your channel and give some more specialized feedback if you'd like too :)

rmenga4

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 22, 2015
YouTube
Ok: long informational rant incoming. But I promise this will help your YouTube Channel overall.

Part 1: Your YouTube channel should be relevant, consistently. Decide what you want to film/upload, and keep it relevant. It's fine to break away from the norm occasionally, but your subscribers expect the same quality/content regularly. On this note, be sure to use relevant tags in your uploads and titles; you can take a little liberty in word choice to make it sound catchy and instill curiosity that will make potential viewers want to click. ClickBait is a thing for a reason, after all. It's enticing (but DON'T lie about content). This includes your thumbnail for your videos as well. Keep it relevant, but make sure it draws attention. Consult a designer/media consultant/YouTuber if you're unsure.

Part 2: If you have a Facebook for your YouTube page, make sure to update as much information about it as you can. Go to your Settings option and update your Biography, "About" sections, and your "Impressum" (a formal declaration of what your page is about and who owns it, etc. - some countries require this information to be viewable).

2.A: Long story short here, Facebook likes to promote things *directly* uploaded to Facebook, not just linked from YouTube (they're mortal enemies. No, really). If you have a sizable video, make a short trailer of the best parts to incite excitement, and upload directly to Facebook as a teaser (don't forget a link to YouTube at the end, via Facebook's "Watch More" option). Also, 9 times out of 10, any post will reach more viewers if you attach a photo/video to it. Don't ask me why, but it works. A post without may reach 15 people, but sometimes a post with a picture/video will reach several hundred. (Edit: Video uploads reach more people. Period. How many Facebook videos have gone viral? Think about it..)

Part 3: DON'T fall into the "sub-for-sub" crap. In case you haven't researched, YouTube doesn't care about how many subscribers you have. Current algorithms amount to this: Watch duration + views = money. You could have 5 subscribers but make more than someone who has 300 (if their viewers don't watch regularly). The bottom line is this: make content short, but interesting, and you'll do better than some random person who amounts followers "just because". You should only subscribe if you're truly impressed by what you see, otherwise it's an empty number. Be sure to check your YouTube analytics to stay up-to-date on where you stand.

ON THE FLIP SIDE: Few people address the psychology of numbers. If you see a channel with, let's say, 10,000 subscribers, chances are you're going to check it out. If 10,000 people subscribed, they simply *must* have enjoyable content, right? Keep this in mind, but don't be an empty subscriber. It seriously doesn't get anyone anywhere unless you're actively watching their content.

Part 4: UPDATE REGULARLY. Whether it's your Facebook page, Tumblr, Twitter, YouTube, whatever: the key to succeeding in social media is to post often. If you neglect your social networking or fail to upload consistently, you run the risk of losing interest. Make sure you promote platforms that you intend on keeping up to date: no point in asking people to follow you on Twitter, SnapChat, etc. if you never update them.

I really hope this helps. I've learned a LOT in my 2 years on YouTube/social media. If you have any comments/suggestions, POST THEM BELOW, so we can help each other grow as a community, and as YouTubers overall.

Thanks, and good luck!!!
Those are great tips.

Reactions: Dillon

Dillon

Freedom! Member
Jun 3, 2014
YouTube
Good list ! :)
Thank you! I know a lot of people struggle on exposure. It's not an easy thing or "one trick fixes all" situation, but I've learned a LOT about social media and algorithms, especially with Facebook. Dirty bastards. If you even mention YouTube in a comment or link, they find ways to limit it's exposure. This Sicilian war must end.

Dillon

Freedom! Member
Jun 3, 2014
YouTube
Ah! This must be tested. Thank you for the tips! (y) (Y)
You're very welcome! I'd love to hear how it goes - you and anyone else. These are just some tips that I've learned from experience. Would be great to hear if it works for others too, as well as any other tips you've learned from trying to gain exposure.
It's a warzone out there.

Dillon

Freedom! Member
Jun 3, 2014
YouTube
The key is to be consistent and interact with your subscribers :)

Decent thumbnails and good quality videos will also help.

From personal experience just be consistent, interactive and make sure your content is high quality.

Good advice also! And with your success, it's proven haha. Quality content may be one of the biggest ones, technical details aside.
You could have the best filming setup and fantastic editing, the works - but if people don't feel engaged or entertained enough to stick around, it won't do much good just to have production value on your side (but by all means, it definitely makes a huge difference!).

Here's hoping I can crack that case and get on your level :p

WarHero

Rising User
Mar 18, 2016
www.youtube.com
YouTube

Thanks, and good luck!!!
That sub for sub thing never works as they ALLWAYS end up unsubscribing or not even watching your videos.

Bellaz XXS

Rising User
Mar 19, 2016
YouTube
Thank you! I know a lot of people struggle on exposure. It's not an easy thing or "one trick fixes all" situation, but I've learned a LOT about social media and algorithms, especially with Facebook. Dirty bastards. If you even mention YouTube in a comment or link, they find ways to limit it's exposure. This Sicilian war must end.

Thanks for sharing !!! Now I know how it works, I need to improve