Resources Is there an app that lets me automatically create manual subtitles by comparing the automatic subtitles against the script for the video?

Acerthorn

Rising User
Mar 8, 2019
YouTube
Many Youtube videos - especially video essays - start from a script, usually in prose format. These scripts are obviously grammatically correct, and if I could simply import that script into Youtube as manual subtitles, we'd be in business.

However, Youtube subtitles require timestamps. You have no way of knowing what the timestamps are going to be when you write the script, and when you finally record al your lines and do all the editing, adding timestamps in is a laborious and tedious process.

It would be nice if there was an app that did that laborious and tedious process for me. You could input two files - your grammatically correct script (in either .odt, .doc, .docx, or .pdf format) and the downloaded Youtube automatic subtitles (in .sbv format), and the app would compare the two. When it sees a line in the automatic subtitles that looks substantially similar to the manual script it was provided, it will substitute the script's writing (which it presumes is grammatically correct) in place of the corresponding automatic subtitles, while keeping the timestamps the same, and export you a brand new .dsv file that you can upload to Youtube as manual subtitles.

Is there an app out there like that?

Acerthorn

Rising User
Mar 8, 2019
YouTube
That only offers truly automatic subtitles, which Youtube already provides. I'm looking for quasi-automatic subtitles that are grammatically correct, which I can then upload to my existing Youtube video.