Why Sub 4 Sub & Shout-outs Will Not Give You Dedicated Viewers

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
Hey guys, I hope everyone's doing well and enjoying whatever it is you're doing.
Before I start my rant here's some free healing for all of you!
Health Potion.png
I've been seeing a lot of Shout-out posts and sub-for-sub and I just gotta say, that even though that's all cool, that won't garner the dedicated viewership you want, and I feel that some don't understand how Youtube works when it comes to viewership.

Dedicated viewers that WANT to watch your videos and comment are the audience you want to attract. Now shout-out posts video's are not a bad thing at all. Someone wants to showcase your channel and share with their subscribers, but the one thing I hate is when that channel doing the service asks you to sub and comment on a certain video, just to get themselves over. If people actually cared about doing something nice for the community, they wouldn't be asking you to sub to their channel, and comment on this video. It's at your discretion if you want to or no. Some do it just out of the shear action of the channel doing shout outs.

Now, I won't go to say that I haven't requested a shout-out from other people, because I have and have done the follow and comment thing. But in all honesty I haven't seen benefit from it, all I've seen is me giving that channel a new sub and a new view. I realize that in a way this is a scheme. Offer a service, get people to "enter" the service that benefits the persons channel, and then get a shout-out which is referenced for about a few seconds to a few minutes. It's all good if that's what you want, but don't get tricked by it. If someone wants to showcase channels, then they shouldn't have to request the person to do this and do that. DM them and that's all it takes, or start your own forum pages saying that you're offering a service with no stipulations. Just because you want to do something nice for the community.

Now the second things I wanted to talk about was the sub-4-sub. The absolute worst thing you could do. I've noticed that when you sub-4-sub all your doing is getting another sub who very likely will not even watch one of your videos. In all honesty that's the truth. I've talked to many people who've done that and they've gone on to say that they never know what channels they follow and don't care. As long as they see a big number of Subs, they're happy. But I feel some don't know how Youtube works when it comes to monitization. They no longer just look at HOW many people watch a video, but instead they look at HOW LONG do people watch a video. This has given youtube the method to verify if a channel is actually just popular or if someone is just spamming the refresh button.

I've said this before and i'll say this again. You want dedicated viewers who enjoy your content for what it is. I've never done a sub-4-sub just because it's not a legitimate viewer that I consider dedicated to my content. Now I'm not saying all sub-4-sub people are horrible, and they'll never watch your videos but I've spoken to many who have just rubbed me the wrong way, especially when you sub to them and a week later they un-sub to you hoping you didn't notice and they still keep your sub on their channel. Some people can be sneaky.

My final thought is just enjoy the content you create and share it your own way, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Google +, etc etc etc... the list can go on. Don't rely on methods that don't get your content out there just because it sounds good; because sometimes it can be a waste of time.

These are solely my opinions based on my experiences. But i want to hear from you. Have you seen a benefit when doing Shout-outs or sub-4-sub, or has this small article kind of opened your eyes a bit?
Let me know.

Heal, Please Heal!

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Hey guys, I hope everyone's doing well and enjoying whatever it is you're doing.
Before I start my rant here's some free healing for all of you!
I've been seeing a lot of Shout-out posts and sub-for-sub and I just gotta say, that even though that's all cool, that won't garner the dedicated viewership you want, and I feel that some don't understand how Youtube works when it comes to viewership.

Dedicated viewers that WANT to watch your videos and comment are the audience you want to attract. Now shout-out posts video's are not a bad thing at all. Someone wants to showcase your channel and share with their subscribers, but the one thing I hate is when that channel doing the service asks you to sub and comment on a certain video, just to get themselves over. If people actually cared about doing something nice for the community, they wouldn't be asking you to sub to their channel, and comment on this video. It's at your discretion if you want to or no. Some do it just out of the shear action of the channel doing shout outs.

Now, I won't go to say that I haven't requested a shout-out from other people, because I have and have done the follow and comment thing. But in all honesty I haven't seen benefit from it, all I've seen is me giving that channel a new sub and a new view. I realize that in a way this is a scheme. Offer a service, get people to "enter" the service that benefits the persons channel, and then get a shout-out which is referenced for about a few seconds to a few minutes. It's all good if that's what you want, but don't get tricked by it. If someone wants to showcase channels, then they shouldn't have to request the person to do this and do that. DM them and that's all it takes, or start your own forum pages saying that you're offering a service with no stipulations. Just because you want to do something nice for the community.

Now the second things I wanted to talk about was the sub-4-sub. The absolute worst thing you could do. I've noticed that when you sub-4-sub all your doing is getting another sub who very likely will not even watch one of your videos. In all honesty that's the truth. I've talked to many people who've done that and they've gone on to say that they never know what channels they follow and don't care. As long as they see a big number of Subs, they're happy. But I feel some don't know how Youtube works when it comes to monitization. They no longer just look at HOW many people watch a video, but instead they look at HOW LONG do people watch a video. This has given youtube the method to verify if a channel is actually just popular or if someone is just spamming the refresh button.

I've said this before and i'll say this again. You want dedicated viewers who enjoy your content for what it is. I've never done a sub-4-sub just because it's not a legitimate viewer that I consider dedicated to my content. Now I'm not saying all sub-4-sub people are horrible, and they'll never watch your videos but I've spoken to many who have just rubbed me the wrong way, especially when you sub to them and a week later they un-sub to you hoping you didn't notice and they still keep your sub on their channel. Some people can be sneaky.

My final thought is just enjoy the content you create and share it your own way, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Google +, etc etc etc... the list can go on. Don't rely on methods that don't get your content out there just because it sounds good; because sometimes it can be a waste of time.

These are solely my opinions based on my experiences. But i want to hear from you. Have you seen a benefit when doing Shout-outs or sub-4-sub, or has this small article kind of opened your eyes a bit?
Let me know.

Heal, Please Heal!
It happens a lot of twitter as well. When I see somebody following over 900+ people, they have the hope that other people will follow back, and high numbers will attract smaller people. It's flawed, but I hope that people start working on content, instead of making their sub count go higher. I'm sure everyone will learn in time the hazards of doing unethical practices ^^

Reactions: HealPleaseHeal