Final Fantasy 13 woes

TheGamingCrusader

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 14, 2015
YouTube
So here's the thing. I did a live stream of Final Fantasy XIII last night and when I was done, YouTube filed it in my archives. Not a big deal right? Well, not exactly.

See when it was uploaded, it got hit with 2 copyright claims immediately by Square Enix. I could have sworn that Square Enix allowed videos to be madr of their content and monetized. But I guess I'm wrong. I'd really like to make videos of this game series and share them with my viewers, but I don't know how to go about doing it now. I ended up just taking the video down until I can figure something out.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to seek guidance on this matter, but I didn't know where else to post. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Hmm what type of strikes did you got? Mostly it is for certain cutscenes and music. I have over 150 video's fron FFXIV wich is also from Square and haven't gotten any strikes for it. Now i know that FFXIII is a different game but considering it is from the same company my guess is that is were strikes for music and cutscenes. Gameplay wise you should be good?

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
Hmm what type of strikes did you got? Mostly it is for certain cutscenes and music. I have over 150 video's fron FFXIV wich is also from Square and haven't gotten any strikes for it. Now i know that FFXIII is a different game but considering it is from the same company my guess is that is were strikes for music and cutscenes. Gameplay wise you should be good?
That is true, but considering the fact that the Video policy for FFXIV had its own page and I couldnt find one for FFXIII is strange, they could have different policies though that is unlikely.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
That is true, but considering the fact that the Video policy for FFXIV had its own page and I couldnt find one for FFXIII is strange, they could have different policies though that is unlikely.
Hmm strange indeed. Only problems i have had with other FF games were certain music soundtracks and visual content like the Intro movie or a certain cutscene. When i edit those things out its all good.

TheGamingCrusader

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 14, 2015
YouTube
Hey there, I have yet to find anything about FF XIII but square enix forums for FFXIV state that you must include a disclaimer message provided by them. I do not know if this applies to FF13 or not, so that might be something for you to look into.

Source: http://support.na.square-enix.com/rule.php?id=5382&tag=authc
Hey there, I have yet to find anything about FF XIII but square enix forums for FFXIV state that you must include a disclaimer message provided by them. I do not know if this applies to FF13 or not, so that might be something for you to look into.

Source: http://support.na.square-enix.com/rule.php?id=5382&tag=authc

It does not apply to FF 13. I did some research into it and found plenty others that were having the same issues with the game.

I was getting visual content matches. If I cut out the cut scenes, the video wouldn't be worth uploading. Final Fantasy isn't a game without the scenes to help explain the story.

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
It does not apply to FF 13. I did some research into it and found plenty others that were having the same issues with the game.

I was getting visual content matches. If I cut out the cut scenes, the video wouldn't be worth uploading. Final Fantasy isn't a game without the scenes to help explain the story.

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it.
Yea i know what you mean. Sorry i couldn't help you further mate :(

Ed_full play

Rising User
Oct 12, 2015
YouTube
Hey, Crusader. It has to do with content ID. Commentary is one thing but other is heavy edited videos. If you want to avoid this problem you have to edit your video in a way it will not match with other content already uploaded or copyrighted by a third party. Of course, that is which out counting sound on the equation.

Ed_full play

Rising User
Oct 12, 2015
YouTube
The actual gameplay sound is usually fine. Most times it's the cutscenes.
Actually that is not my experience. The only copyright strike I have with this channel is the part where Dracula is asking Richter "what is a man?" in castlevania SOTN. And I believe because I didn't speak enough in order to avoid youtube machine ID whatever to match Konami copyrighted content. Another example is one video called "Pokedex entry 187 Hoppip" I created the graphics from scratch using and 3d software and I got a copyright strike for the music which in fact was under a commentary I recorded myself. It took me weeks in order to finish that video! But noOo, Lord Karma let me play pokemon in my current channel without any problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
Actually that is not my experience. The only copyright strike I have with this channel is the part where Dracula is asking Richter "what is a man?" in castlevania SOTN. And I believe because I didn't speak enough in order to avoid youtube machine ID whatever to match Konami copyrighted content. Another example is one video called "Pokedex entry 187 Hoppip" I created the graphics from scratch using and 3d software and I got a copyright strike for the music which in fact was under a commentary I recorded myself. It took me weeks in order to finish that video! But noOo, Lord Karma let me play pokemon in my current channel without any problem.
What you are trying to do is actually not allowed. Avoiding content ID match simply means you walked around copyright, but you still violated the copyright laws. If Konami says you cant use theyr game, then you cant, even if youtube cannot notice the infridgment. Same goes with music and everything else.

What im saying is that walking around the issue is not solving it. You either need proper permissions or make content that can be protected by fair use law.

PS: no video links are allowed in discussion sections, so link from your post was removed.

Ed_full play

Rising User
Oct 12, 2015
YouTube
What you are trying to do is actually not allowed. Avoiding content ID match simply means you walked around copyright, but you still violated the copyright laws. If Konami says you cant use theyr game, then you cant, even if youtube cannot notice the infridgment. Same goes with music and everything else.

What im saying is that walking around the issue is not solving it. You either need proper permissions or make content that can be protected by fair use law.

PS: no video links are allowed in discussion sections, so link from your post was removed.

With all respect I find your reply very offensive. Everybody who has been in YouTube for a while know that copyright strike come and go with out control in a lot of cases. I almost had one of my short movies take down thanks to that. I would love to go over what is protected under fair use law, but for the love of God, it is more than obvious that you should exercise this law if the graphic or sound you are uploading was created by another group or artist. I... am very annoyed and disappointed. Sorry Crusader for trying to help.

PS: I didn't put any frea**ng link. Just quoted the name of my video. It goes without saying I can't see the future, otherwise I would have known that by doing so it would automatically transform into a link.

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
With all respect I find your reply very offensive. Everybody who has been in YouTube for a while know that copyright strike come and go with out control in a lot of cases. I almost had one of my short movies take down thanks to that. I would love to go over what is protected under fair use law, but for the love of God, it is more than obvious that you should exercise this law if the graphic or sound you are uploading was created by another group or artist. I... am very annoyed and disappointed. Sorry Crusader for trying to help.

PS: I didn't put any frea**ng link. Just quoted the name of my video. It goes without saying I can't see the future, otherwise I would have known that by doing so it would automatically transform into a link.
I was talking about actually claims and strikes that come with a reason, for example trying to upload anime to youtube, poeple mirror the footage and content ID cannot match it any longer, but that does not mean its allowed. Obviously if you OWN or have rights to the content you should protect it, but your examples in the first post just make it seem like you want to claim something that you do now own (like music) as your own, just by talking ower it, which is not allowed. If you talk over the music that does not necessery mean its "fair use" as you are not using the said music for reviews or anything else that would fall under fair use.

As for the link, it was a hyperlink to a video... and no forums dont have a feature to link videos based on theyr names... though I feel that you wont agree with me as I did not take a screenshot...

It was not an official warning, so id appreciate if you didint make a huge deal out of this.

Ed_full play

Rising User
Oct 12, 2015
YouTube
I was talking about actually claims and strikes that come with a reason, for example trying to upload anime to youtube, poeple mirror the footage and content ID cannot match it any longer, but that does not mean its allowed. Obviously if you OWN or have rights to the content you should protect it, but your examples in the first post just make it seem like you want to claim something that you do now own (like music) as your own, just by talking ower it, which is not allowed. If you talk over the music that does not necessery mean its "fair use" as you are not using the said music for reviews or anything else that would fall under fair use.

As for the link, it was a hyperlink to a video... and no forums dont have a feature to link videos based on theyr names... though I feel that you wont agree with me as I did not take a screenshot...

It was not an official warning, so id appreciate if you didint make a huge deal out of this.
There, I knew you could write like this. Please have in mind that explaining detail as you did is important when talking about complicated matter. Talking about links, I don't understand what you meant. Let's see "Test". I did it exactly as the last time, but it doesn't seems to be a link this time, I think.

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
There, I knew you could write like this. Please have in mind that explaining detail as you did is important when talking about complicated matter. Talking about links, I don't understand what you meant. Let's see "Test". I did it exactly as the last time, but it doesn't seems to be a link this time, I think.
Lets just forget the whole link matter, I did not take a screenshot so lets assume it did not happen this time.

As for the whole "fair use" misscommunication, please understand that it was not my intention to start a fight with anyone, what I understood from your first post seemed like you were suggesting to use content ID flaws to use copyrighted material, thats why my reply was highly against it.

I am sorry if i missunderstood anything :)

TheGamingCrusader

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 14, 2015
YouTube
This.... This was just a thread that I started about my trouble with FF13 and it turned into this?

Nerd, I appreciate your input. I saw nothing offensive about your replies. Thank you.

Full Play, while I appreciate your trying to help with this, I think you took things a little close to heart. Maybe next time you could simply ask what the mod meant instead of writing what I saw as a snotty post.

To end this thread, I have decided that I will not be using any Square Enix games on my channel. I will be sticking with games that the publisher has publicly stated that it's ok to use their content in YouTube videos. Like Bethesda Softworks has said/done. Again, I thank everyone for their help.