Tips & Tricks Some secrets (probably known) and tips on how to grow on YouTube

G

Gods of Odds

I'll start with the secrets that may not be big secrets.

1. YouTube will start to advertise you and start taking a bit more notice of you once you get 100 subscribers and/or 100 videos uploaded.

2. They will also take more notice of you at least if you're a smaller YouTuber if you keep to a schedule or frequently upload videos as then they see that you are uploading videos on a regular basis and will start to help.

3. Now the not so secret things, the first one being obvious just go on some forums like Reddit, yttalk or other forums and be active on them and people will start to take notice of you.

4. Another hopefully obvious one, go on social media, make sure you have a facebook and twitter account for your YouTube channel.

5. Of course always make sure you have quality content, unless you have millions of people watching you then quality is usually more important than quantity so make sure your videos are good quality.

6. It always helps to do something different on YouTube, if you're a gaming channel then the chances are that you're not going to grow a lot unless you make your gaming videos unique in some way. Basically just try to do something that hasn't ever been done on YouTube before which may be getting harder but there are definitely things out there.

7. This is very important, make sure you actually enjoy doing YouTube otherwise you shouldn't be doing it.
I hope these things help someone out there and if you have any questions for me then feel free to ask. Our YouTube channel is here if you're interested in us: https://www.youtube.com/c/GodsofOdds

mujexzilla

Rising User
Oct 1, 2016
YouTube
That's all well and good but, you know the whole "lead the horse to watter" thing. You can have the flashiest thumbnails, have your metadata nailed down, and yes you can technically rank high even with barely any subs, but there's one thing you will never be able to control: the people.

When someone searches something on youtube, usually the videos they will click on are the ones with most views, because of course that "more views = quality" mentality, and so even if youtube technically helps new videos by being pushed up in the search, unless your video gets views it will never go anywhere.

And if this happens enough times, the fu*king algorithm thinks that because nobody is watching your s*it, that your channel is s*it, and gets fu*ked in terms of relevance. And that is really hard to come back from.

In other words, until that one event that starts the snowball effect that gets you tons of views and/or subs, your videos will never get anywhere, regardless of quality because the algorithm just doesn't give a s*it.

G

Gods of Odds

That's all well and good but, you know the whole "lead the horse to watter" thing. You can have the flashiest thumbnails, have your metadata nailed down, and yes you can technically rank high even with barely any subs, but there's one thing you will never be able to control: the people.

When someone searches something on youtube, usually the videos they will click on are the ones with most views, because of course that "more views = quality" mentality, and so even if youtube technically helps new videos by being pushed up in the search, unless your video gets views it will never go anywhere.

And if this happens enough times, the fu*king algorithm thinks that because nobody is watching your s*it, that your channel is s*it, and gets fu*ked in terms of relevance. And that is really hard to come back from.

In other words, until that one event that starts the snowball effect that gets you tons of views and/or subs, your videos will never get anywhere, regardless of quality because the algorithm just doesn't give a s*it.
Well yep I do completely agree with you.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
The 100 videos and subs thing isn't nessecarily correct. But overall great post. Some of them may be inaccurate since youtubers algorithm isn't really understood by the community but not to worry, you put out great info!

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube

I completely understand where you are coming from with your points, and completely agree with what you have said, however please be careful on the language used in your post and note that even if your self censoring it can still be deemed as inappropriate language which is against the forum rules. Just a friendly heads up :)

G

Gods of Odds

The 100 videos and subs thing isn't nessecarily correct. But overall great post. Some of them may be inaccurate since youtubers algorithm isn't really understood by the community but not to worry, you put out great info!
To be honest, I did wonder about that myself but I just read it in a few different places so I thought that it would nice to share it just in case if it is true, knowing YouTube it wouldn't surprise me if it was true but I don't completely know.

audiogamer

New User
Freedom! Member
Oct 8, 2016
YouTube
I only know that YouTube cares about Watchtime.
So if you can make video's that are long being watched, you can make more ad revenue.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I only know that YouTube cares about Watchtime.
So if you can make video's that are long being watched, you can make more ad revenue.
Potentially longer videos means more revenue, it does depend on some other factors such as if people are watching more of the video ( and by extension seeing the other ads) or whether or not they have an ad blocker on. Seems no matter what metric YouTube uses to determine whether or not a channel is good, there is always a flaw with it.