Adblock, Youtube Red, and the Future

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Ok so this is something that is pretty odd that I have come across while chatting with other game developers. I found myself pretty shocked at the conversation and really couldn't understand it. However, it does leave me with a bit of concern for the future.

So what this conversation was about was Pewdiepie and what he felt about Youtube Red and why it happened. He spoke about how even though youtube has 1 billion users, youtube is still losing money and that is due to adblock. He polled his followers and got over 8,000 to respond and found 40% of them use software like adblock.

He explains how he is ok with them using adblock on his channel because he knows ads can suck, but he also mentions that these numbers are devastating for smaller channels.

He also said "Using Adblock doesn't mean you're clever and above the system, YouTube Red exists because using Adblock has actual consequences."

Now that is pretty much the gist of the articles.

The issue I have come across is many people actually think they deserve to not to have to watch ads. Someone in the conversation even mentioned how they hate that some ads are not skippable and all ads should be. He feels all ads should be mandatory skippable for those who simply do not want to watch them.

He also said since youtube allows adblock then that means there should be no problem.

Now coming from my point of view that sounds pretty entitled. Do you agree? What are your thoughts on it?

If youtube red does not work out as well as they hope, what will be their next course of action?

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Everyone talks about ad block like it's the only problem...

Youtube red will fix the biggest problem I face... downloading videos...

I don't know about any of you, but I download videos all the time to watch while I'm at work to save on data...

those offline views don't get counted, no ad is served, no comments or likes possible in this way...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this to save data... my phone bill is over $500/month for my 9gb of data already...

Youtube red can fix all that...
Unfortunately I gotta wait till it comes to Canada :(

Reactions: McGahan

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Everyone talks about ad block like it's the only problem...

Youtube red will fix the biggest problem I face... downloading videos...

I don't know about any of you, but I download videos all the time to watch while I'm at work to save on data...

those offline views don't get counted, no ad is served, no comments or likes possible in this way...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this to save data... my phone bill is over $500/month for my 9gb of data already...

Youtube red can fix all that...
Unfortunately I gotta wait till it comes to Canada :(

Ya, but that particular problem is minuscule compared to the whole adblock thing. I doubt anywhere near 40% of people download the videos to watch later as I am sure most people have an internet connection nearly where ever they go. Also the US, has a lot better plans and such where data usage is rarely a problem. At least from my experience.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
I don't think youtube red will fix the issue, it's just too expensive and people can get it for free just by using adblock. Unless they can find a way to make ads non blockable only a small minority will get it.

Youtube need to fix up their ad types, they need to stop playing the same ads over and over again. Also try to target them better, if the channel is gaming show gaming related ads. I'd be more than happy to have interactive ads where we can click something like interesting or never show this ad again.

Pop up ads are probably one of my least favourite, I've never once actually looked at one, just clicked the x every time they pop up. It's just annoying and not advertising at all, stuff like that is the reason people use adblock. They should just make all ads skipable, then it's up the the advertiser to make their promotion interesting enough for the viewer to keep watching.

I never used adblock but I can definitely see why people use it...

Reactions: McGahan

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I don't think youtube red will fix the issue, it's just too expensive and people can get it for free just by using adblock. Unless they can find a way to make ads non blockable only a small minority will get it.

Youtube need to fix up their ad types, they need to stop playing the same ads over and over again. Also try to target them better, if the channel is gaming show gaming related ads. I'd be more than happy to have interactive ads where we can click something like interesting or never show this ad again.

Pop up ads are probably one of my least favourite, I've never once actually looked at one, just clicked the x every time they pop up. It's just annoying and not advertising at all, stuff like that is the reason people use adblock. They should just make all ads skipable, then it's up the the advertiser to make their promotion interesting enough for the viewer to keep watching.

I don't think making all ads skipable would help. Sure, it may prevent people from using adblock, but it also doesn't fix anything. They would still have the same situation if not worse because no one gets paid for skipped ads. It may also make the platform look less favorable to put ads on in the first place. Which means less advertisers.

I do agree with everything else you said though. They really need to target ads better, and it would be nice to be able to tell it which ads we like and which ones we do not.

Robin “Williams” Muscato

My Youtube Channel
Freedom! Member
May 31, 2015
YouTube
tell you truth. if youtube red dont work out like they hope. they may make a temp to sweeten the deal by add new tool and stuff. hack, i bet they will add new tool that only youtube red member can use. just watch. it will happen soon. i not going say this is a failure just yet. give it 1 month and than see what happen

it can be done but the trick is to pass a new law stopping ad block. that don't think that will go far. or to trick browser in to thinking ads block is doing it job but it really not working. how ever, tricking i program is almost impossible to do.

Last edited:

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube

The problem with the ads playing over and over is not google fault... when you setup ads you get to decide how many times per week a single iP address will be shown an ad...
It's up to the advertiser to limit how many times you see the ad... if you see it over and over it means that company doesn't know how to use adwords properly yet...[DOUBLEPOST=1446567683][/DOUBLEPOST]
tell you truth. if youtube red dont work out like they hope. they may make a temp to sweeten the deal by add new tool and stuff. hack, i bet they will add new tool that only youtube red member can use. just watch. it will happen soon. i not going say this is a failure just yet. give it 1 month and than see what happen
it can be done but the trick is to pass a new law stopping ad block. that don't think that will go far. or to trick browser in to thinking ads block is doing it job but it really not working. how ever, tricking i program is almost impossible to do.
They have some youtube red exclusive content with pewds and a few other big tubers... people may sign up just for that!

Last edited: