YouTube Annotations Going Away

NoDragonsPlz

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
May 11, 2015
United States
YouTube
Looks like YouTube is forcing annotations to go away. This is probably to utilize their end screen feature more.
"The ability to add or edit annotations will go away on May 2nd. Existing annotations will remain."
How does everyone feel about this?

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
Oh annotations.
They were very helpful if you needed to tell the viewer something quickly before it's too late, but majority of the time, they got in the way, especially in educational videos.

What I am questioning is how would it make more people use the end screen feature?
Annotations were mainly used for small messages, not for an outro.

NoDragonsPlz

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
May 11, 2015
United States
YouTube
Oh annotations.
They were very helpful if you needed to tell the viewer something quickly before it's too late, but majority of the time, they got in the way, especially in educational videos.

What I am questioning is how would it make more people use the end screen feature?
Annotations were mainly used for small messages, not for an outro.
You could make an end screen with videos that would have an annotation over them that would direct you to that video

chriswyatt25

Rising User
Mar 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
YouTube
cwyattfilm
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, they could be overused and quite annoying sometimes (fortunately you could always turn them off if need be). On the other hand, they were handy if you made a goof in a video or just needed to quickly clarify something. When posting videos to youtube, that could be helpful.

So yeah, kind of bummed they're going away but not the end of the world.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Wish they weren't getting rid of them. Even if they don't work on Mobile (I never understood why this wasn't fixed) It's nice to have options available.

Drawyah

Respected User
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Apr 10, 2016
steamcommunity.com
YouTube
DrawyahYT
One major part of annotations I liked was the ability to let viewers skip to different parts of the video. Cards don't let you link your own video, and there is no alternative to this, which is a shame...

If videos that currently have them lose them? Videos from 2009 which tell you to watch in 480p and press the YELLOW subscribe button will lose some of their charm! As long as they keep the 009 Sound System 'YouTube Anthem' tracks. :)

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
One major part of annotations I liked was the ability to let viewers skip to different parts of the video. Cards don't let you link your own video, and there is no alternative to this, which is a shame...

If videos that currently have them lose them? Videos from 2009 which tell you to watch in 480p and press the YELLOW subscribe button will lose some of their charm! As long as they keep the 009 Sound System 'YouTube Anthem' tracks. :)

It's still going to exist for old videos. They are only getting rid of the ability to edit them and add new ones to future videos.