Are you being hit by YouTube's "Guilty before proven innocent" policy?

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Recently, YouTube implemented an algorithm in an attempt to enforce some of their community guidelines.
The following things are what would be consider "Not advertisers friendly". Now, these things are stupid broad and can influence anyone and their ability to make content and reliably earn from their creations.

Let me run through this, it's in order so I'm not repeating the statements shown above.

1. Essentially no rape jokes like the old PewDiePie, talking about nipples in a funny way, or alluding/reporting about someone posting nudes. Showing is no necessary, having "nudes" in the title, tags, or description is grounds for demonetization.

2. Violence. Wow, talk about every video game ever. You are no longer allowed to make money off of talking about ISIS or terror attacks done in their name. The video where the guy cut a deep gash into his finger trying to make a fruit ninja video will not be monetizable since it can be considered serious injury, or graphic imagery, such as at 5.

3. Inappropriate language. Again, say goodbye to almost every game ever. Leafy will not be making money anymore, nor PewDiePie, or NerdCubed, or about every other big YouTuber since foul language tingles the brains of the youth that often tend to watch their content.

4. Again, wow. You are not even allowed to talk about the abuse of drugs and that extends beyond to talking about how to avoid abuse or avoid use all together. You cannot earn money off of self-help videos for people who really need it, and money is a big motivator on YouTube.

5. Trump, Bush did 9/11, Syrian Civil War, Nepal Earthquake, Tornado compilations, train derailing, 216-car pileup on I-710, Bus falls off cliff. Just mentioning it makes you ineligible for monetizing.

This is a serious issue. Many people rely on YouTube to make a living, and pulling away the opportunity to make money when the most of it comes in is the worst move they could have possibly made. YouTube needs to soften its rules and be open to expression and furthermore general earnings when expressing.

Imagine putting up a video like "the $70 from the first day of this video will finish what I need for rent this month" and then no being able to pay for said rent because the computer at YouTube said "You mentioned Trump in your tags, you can't earn money here".
Of course I use Trump to poke fun at what they would consider controversial, but ISIS is more or less something you'd be looking at that would get you a slap.

I'll leave with two quotes.
"To make people react with their hearts, you need to hit them in their wallet"
"Yell loud enough and eventually someone will come over to see what all the fuss is about"

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
dude... these are actually the rules wich are already exists for years. but now 'they looking a little bit sharper to it by some channels wich are actual talking trash about youtubers in order to get them down.

you look waaaayyyy to strict to it -_- and if it was so strict then my channel was already terminated by now. and BTW you talk like we only can make video's about animals and that youtube must turn into a webside for 6 year olds. but these are the rules wich already exists for since... actually since the beginning of youtube. since it's global.

but I do only agree that leafy has to be a little more carefull now in his video's.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
dude... these are actually the rules wich are already exists for years. but now 'they looking a little bit sharper to it by some channels wich are actual talking trash about youtubers in order to get them down.

you look waaaayyyy to strict to it -_- and if it was so strict then my channel was already terminated by now. and BTW you talk like we only can make video's about animals and that youtube must turn into a webside for 6 year olds. but these are the rules wich already exists for since... actually since the beginning of youtube. since it's global.

but I do only agree that leafy has to be a little more carefull now in his video's.
I'm not saying that this isn't a new policy, but the algorithm in place does exactly what the title suggests.

TheAimGames

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2014
Where the sun doesn't shine
YouTube
There's a lot of YouTubers getting affected by the recent actions made by YouTube. Heck, people who are trying to help others regarding depression is apparently considered "non-advertiser friendly". I even saw a charity event video getting demonetize at one point. YouTube really needs to know that the action they've taken can lead to a lot of serious consequences.

7BitBrian

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 1, 2016
YouTube
Haven't had anything affected by it so far, but then again I try to keep my content focused on the game and story and theorycrafting and such, and always get written email permission to use every game I showcase in my videos. It is a bit crazy the storm this has stirred up but it seems like people are focusing on the wrong issues or the wrong takeaway from this debale. I actually made my first "rant" stye, if you want to call it that, video about this.

Last edited:

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Haven't had anything affected by it so far, but then again I try to keep my content focused on the game and story and theorycrafting and such, and always get written email permission to use every game I showcase in my videos. It is a bit crazy the storm this has stirred up but it seems like people are focusing on the wrong issues or the wrong takeaway from this debale. I actually made my first "rant" stye,
Please keep the discussion here on the forum. If need be, transcribe the point of your video into text and write in here instead of advertising the video. With that said, it would be recommended that you remove the video link from your post as doing so does violate our policies here on the forum.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Recently, YouTube implemented an algorithm in an attempt to enforce some of their community guidelines.
The following things are what would be consider "Not advertisers friendly". Now, these things are stupid broad and can influence anyone and their ability to make content and reliably earn from their creations.

Let me run through this, it's in order so I'm not repeating the statements shown above.

1. Essentially no rape jokes like the old PewDiePie, talking about nipples in a funny way, or alluding/reporting about someone posting nudes. Showing is no necessary, having "nudes" in the title, tags, or description is grounds for demonetization.

2. Violence. Wow, talk about every video game ever. You are no longer allowed to make money off of talking about ISIS or terror attacks done in their name. The video where the guy cut a deep gash into his finger trying to make a fruit ninja video will not be monetizable since it can be considered serious injury, or graphic imagery, such as at 5.

3. Inappropriate language. Again, say goodbye to almost every game ever. Leafy will not be making money anymore, nor PewDiePie, or NerdCubed, or about every other big YouTuber since foul language tingles the brains of the youth that often tend to watch their content.

4. Again, wow. You are not even allowed to talk about the abuse of drugs and that extends beyond to talking about how to avoid abuse or avoid use all together. You cannot earn money off of self-help videos for people who really need it, and money is a big motivator on YouTube.

5. Trump, Bush did 9/11, Syrian Civil War, Nepal Earthquake, Tornado compilations, train derailing, 216-car pileup on I-710, Bus falls off cliff. Just mentioning it makes you ineligible for monetizing.

This is a serious issue. Many people rely on YouTube to make a living, and pulling away the opportunity to make money when the most of it comes in is the worst move they could have possibly made. YouTube needs to soften its rules and be open to expression and furthermore general earnings when expressing.

Imagine putting up a video like "the $70 from the first day of this video will finish what I need for rent this month" and then no being able to pay for said rent because the computer at YouTube said "You mentioned Trump in your tags, you can't earn money here".
Of course I use Trump to poke fun at what they would consider controversial, but ISIS is more or less something you'd be looking at that would get you a slap.

I'll leave with two quotes.
"To make people react with their hearts, you need to hit them in their wallet"
"Yell loud enough and eventually someone will come over to see what all the fuss is about"
As of now it only seems to effect titles tags and descriptions... I swear all the time and none of my videos are effected, even the age restricted south park videos I have showing definitly sexual content is totally fine...

OnlyUltimate

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 6, 2016
London
www.youtube.com
YouTube
OnlyUltimateYT
You're not in a position to say where advertisers should use their money. It's that 'risk' for them, they don't want to have their brand to be associated with something that is listed as 'not advertiser friendly' and why should they? I actually believe the current changes is a good thing, as you can now appeal these demonetisations and actually gain monetisation now.

Reactions: 7BitBrian