Better Gameplay Commentary?

SpringFromMinecraft

Rising User
Feb 16, 2016
YouTube
Hi Everyone!
I have all the equipment, and software i need to make HD Gameplay vids, However I found it to be difficult to focus on my commentary while playing minecraft at the same time (I Know im not the only one) does anyone have any tips that might help that, i have inproved im Not Terrible theres just some quiet moments in the videos sometimes and i say "Um" alot...Alot Of times without noticing

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Just gotta practice really. I don't play minecraft but I was still kind of the same way when I started out. Maybe not as much of an "um" person but I definitely did it a bit more in my earliest videos compared to today.

Gamenugz

Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2015
YouTube
gamenugz
Sometimes I find it hard to comment and play at the same time too, but my channel is a group of 4 people, so we usually work in pairs, this makes it easier to fill the void when there is silence. But if you like working alone, I would say just do some practice runs until you get used to it, after a while, it just becomes second nature to talk and play, trust me, it gets easier and easier as you go.

LanokirX

Respected User
Feb 9, 2016
Värnamo, Sweden
www.youtube.com
YouTube
As mention, practice is a great thing. I usually struggle when it comes to stream and play for example Team Fortress 2; try to read the chat, talk and play is really hard for sure, though the only thing that happens is that I die a lot. xD

Good idea could be to talk about your projects in Minecraft, to keep yourself talking, think it's much about how you are as a person.

Reactions: Eldridge Coutinho

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
Hi Everyone!
I have all the equipment, and software i need to make HD Gameplay vids, However I found it to be difficult to focus on my commentary while playing minecraft at the same time (I Know im not the only one) does anyone have any tips that might help that, i have inproved im Not Terrible theres just some quiet moments in the videos sometimes and i say "Um" alot...Alot Of times without noticing
Think of your microphone as a friend. You need to relax and just be yourself, just as you were talking to your best friend. I'm still not the best at commentaries, but it's a lot easier when i don't even acknowledge the mic at all

iTsEazi00

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
DC METRO AREA
YouTube
Hi Everyone!
Yeah it happens to me all the time, it goes away as you do them more and more. Yeah when you hit the "umm" your nervous, just relax and speak about the game, its your show so speak your mind. There is no wrong thing to say

Armando Herrera

Oct 6, 2015
YouTube
practice dude, or kinda have a topic you know youre gonna talk about. I do a lot of live commentaries and it gets easier as you do more of it. just practice or have topic in mind already. i kinda just wing and it comes to me as i go lol

Eldridge Coutinho

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 16, 2016
India
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Hi Everyone!
Hey im facing the same problems trying to work on it!!

Reactions: Dream3dition

Dream3dition

Rising User
Feb 15, 2016
YouTube
Hi Everyone!

I struggled with this too at first cause I'm a girl and I'm really shy, but what really helped me is just talking to myself in the mirror when I had time. Seems weird and embarrassing but I promise it helps you to not get into the habit of saying "um". Another thing that really helped me was thinking about what I really wanted to say in my videos before I record. Before you actually start recording, try doing a practice voice recording and just talk to yourself out loud as if you're speaking to your viewers... it really helped me and my boyfriend improve the content on our channel. I'm not perfect, but I'm getting better everyday I think <3 :) I hope my comment helps you and you find this useful, good luck :)

Last edited: