Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Hi Dev_J can you check out my channel please.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGingerninja28

Here's your review:

So starting with your homepage, You should try to add some playlists of your content to the front page rather than having the default layout there. See my channel for a good example of a layout. Looking at your channel art, Maybe try and make something to make your brand stand out rather than stock images. I don't know if your avatar is stock but I know the banner is just one of the ones youtube provide in the "gallery" section. You should also get to work on making some thumbnails as what you have so far looks like its default or just game covers only. Try to make your channel yours. As for the rest of your channel, you should try to write a full description and you shouldn't put links in your description for your social links as it is kinda pointless and doesn't help your channel at all. Finally watching your latest video, I felt that the video could have some commentary in it, as is, it was rather boring. I also felt that the description & tag could really use some work. try to write more. It will really help with SEO.

Overall Rating: 1/10

BrutishOsprey

New User
Freedom! Member
May 12, 2017
Cheers for the review Dev_J it really helps a lot, unfortunately my capture card doesn't record my voice when recording so editing afterwards is the only option at the moment.

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Can you review my channel please?

Here's your review

Starting on your homepage, well lets just say, its needs some work. I like that you've tried to work on it, but right now I feel like its a mess. Try making and adding some playlists to the page and make it look more organised. See my channel for a reasonable example of this. Moving to your channel art, I liked your avatar, its nice and simple and fits you as a person. But the banner, urgh... I get shivers looking bad it is. Sorry if your offended by this but it is just terrible, Plenty of people on the forums, myself included will happily make a banner for you. Just ask around. As for thumbnails, well having some would be a good start. Your stream ones and cropped and look horrible and most videos are either black screens or default from the video. Look in the C.R.I.B for some good templates if you need help with it. Looking at the rest of your channel, you could write a full description about yourself and your channel rather than 1 line. You also have a grey globe error on your twitter link. See the video below to fix this:

Finally watching your latest video, well its literally nothing!!!!! just a black screen with no audio, the description could also be a lot better & tags are also a good thing to have. I watched the video before just to give some actual feedback on a actual video. Firstly the intro is pointlessly TOO LONG!!!!!!!, Its just so boring to sit through over 10 seconds of some text bouncing in the screen. Just get rid of it or make it like super short (1-3 seconds) if you must have one. The audio was okay But I'd recommend setting up your camera to be facing a solid wall so not to have the background lighting take over & also try to make it a common set so people know its your video. Once again description & tags need a lot of work

Overall Rating: 1/10 (almost a 0 to be honest, but I'm being nice today)​

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
Started my new channel 2 months ago but I have been in Youtube for 3 years now so I guess I got some experience
SO I would love to get a channel review

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Started my new channel 2 months ago but I have been in Youtube for 3 years now so I guess I got some experience
SO I would love to get a channel review

Here's your review

Starting with the homepage, I liked the amount of content, but I would have liked to see more of a variety in layout style. You can see my channel for a example of what I mean. Going onto your channel art, I like the 3D aspect of it but It would be nice if the banner wasn't blurred as well as it been all in the frame of the desktop view. I also felt there could be a lot more going on it in. Maybe try adding a blue background to it? As for your thumbnails, I liked that they were all kind of similar and that they all had different backgrounds. But the text placement, especially on the outlast videos could have been better to avoid been covered up by the video length. As for the rest of your channel I liked your description, but you have a grey globe error on your twitter, see this video to fix it:

You could also have a Facebook page or something just so you can reach a larger audience. Finally watching your latest video, The intro was WAY TOO LONG!!! (I say that way too much) but it is really. I got bored of the intro within 4 seconds, while it i a nice intro it does go on for a bit too long. maybe ending it once your channel logo is complete? otherwise I liked the quality of your audio, you video description was great & the tags were also reasonable.

Overall Rating: 6/10

Reactions: TheGaminCentral

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
Here's your review

Starting with the homepage, I liked the amount of content, but I would have liked to see more of a variety in layout style. You can see my channel for a example of what I mean. Going onto your channel art, I like the 3D aspect of it but It would be nice if the banner wasn't blurred as well as it been all in the frame of the desktop view. I also felt there could be a lot more going on it in. Maybe try adding a blue background to it? As for your thumbnails, I liked that they were all kind of similar and that they all had different backgrounds. But the text placement, especially on the outlast videos could have been better to avoid been covered up by the video length. As for the rest of your channel I liked your description, but you have a grey globe error on your twitter, see this video to fix it:

You could also have a Facebook page or something just so you can reach a larger audience. Finally watching your latest video, The intro was WAY TOO LONG!!! (I say that way too much) but it is really. I got bored of the intro within 4 seconds, while it i a nice intro it does go on for a bit too long. maybe ending it once your channel logo is complete? otherwise I liked the quality of your audio, you video description was great & the tags were also reasonable.

Thanks man for reviewing my channel
So I should make different layouts in my homepage
Also I like having some parts being blurred and some parts not blurred but might change later but I don't get about the blue background
Yea I could see the text placement in outlast 2 got covered by the video length and I am planning to change the position of text
For the intro I can remove the zooming part at the end of the intro and end it just after the logo shows but it was something I worked on for on my own like a totally different intro and it was so nice and so I wanted to keep it

The Rubin

Freedom! Member
Jan 4, 2017
UK
YouTube
TheRubinYT
Here's your review

Starting on your homepage, well lets just say, its needs some work. I like that you've tried to work on it, but right now I feel like its a mess. Try making and adding some playlists to the page and make it look more organised. See my channel for a reasonable example of this. Moving to your channel art, I liked your avatar, its nice and simple and fits you as a person. But the banner, urgh... I get shivers looking bad it is. Sorry if your offended by this but it is just terrible, Plenty of people on the forums, myself included will happily make a banner for you. Just ask around. As for thumbnails, well having some would be a good start. Your stream ones and cropped and look horrible and most videos are either black screens or default from the video. Look in the C.R.I.B for some good templates if you need help with it. Looking at the rest of your channel, you could write a full description about yourself and your channel rather than 1 line. You also have a grey globe error on your twitter link. See the video below to fix this:

Finally watching your latest video, well its literally nothing!!!!! just a black screen with no audio, the description could also be a lot better & tags are also a good thing to have. I watched the video before just to give some actual feedback on a actual video. Firstly the intro is pointlessly TOO LONG!!!!!!!, Its just so boring to sit through over 10 seconds of some text bouncing in the screen. Just get rid of it or make it like super short (1-3 seconds) if you must have one. The audio was okay But I'd recommend setting up your camera to be facing a solid wall so not to have the background lighting take over & also try to make it a common set so people know its your video. Once again description & tags need a lot of work

Overall Rating: 1/10 (almost a 0 to be honest, but I'm being nice today)​

Working on it right now!

SirPlasmalot

Freedom! Member
Mar 5, 2015
Texas
YouTube
SirPlasmalot
I would very much like a review; there's always room to improve! As a growing little bud, there's so much to change and refine, I just need an outside eye. Thank you so much! <3

killakestrelGaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 23, 2015
YouTube
Killakestrel
Updated (8/5/2017)

So its been a while since I've been active on the freedom forums. Since then I've changed alias and made a new channel. I wanted to get back to give channel reviews, which are honest and provide advice for positive changes for your channel, but I'll be managing it a little better so I don't get overrun with requests. This time I'll be doing 1/2 per day max so you'll be an a queue for your review. It just allows me to have take my time on them a little more.

I'll be covering the following headers on my review:​
- Homepage layout
- Channel art (Avatar & Banner)
- Thumbnail design (Appropriate to your content e.t.c)
- Rest of channel (Description, social links e.t.c)
- Your latest video (Video quality, Audio Balance, Intro Length, Descriptions & Tags)
And finally I'll rate you channel out of 10.​

Each channel will have at-least a paragraph of feedback and will be quoted when they review is made.​

Testimonies from this thread & my previous thread #1 & thread #2

This Thread

Previous Threads (old alias)

Hello mate. i love this idea of yours to give great quality feedback and help others improve its amazing. please if you have time could you do one for my channel as i would love to know where it need to be improved.here is a link to my forum post asking for reviews.
https://freedom.community.tm/threads/hello-i-would-like-a-full-channel-and-video-review.226008/
you will find my latest video there and a link to my channel as well i hope you have time and i can't wait to hear what you think of my channel
thanks for your time
Killakestrel
(This Gamers Way)

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
I would very much like a review; there's always room to improve! As a growing little bud, there's so much to change and refine, I just need an outside eye. Thank you so much! <3

Hello, indeed reviews can help people improve in area's they may not think about themselves. below is your review.

Starting on your homepage. I felt there could have been a bit more done here. Maybe try adding some playlists of your videos here and try mixing up the layout style as well. See my channel homepage for a good example of this. I took a look at your channel trailer while I was there and I must admit enjoyed it, though the trailer visuals could really be a bit more interesting to look at. Like at the start instead of blackness maybe having videos blurred out playing at fast speeds. Then having the text a good colour with a border to stand out over it. That would make it a lot more appealing to watch at the start and might keep people watching it for a bit longer. Moving on to your channel art, I loved your avatar but the banner let it down really. especially with the random black bar near the top and the square box in the middle trying to make the text stand out. Maybe try using different effects or even just bordered text to make the text stand out instead of a box. Looking at your thumbnails, I'm gonna be honest, I cringed a little just looking at some of them. Just to mention a few problems with them; too small text, generic fonts (from cooltext "keen" I believe), horrible colour choices, stretched images & thumbnails been too similar. I think you get the idea. (unfortunately I personally don't run a service for thumbnails yet, but you may find help if you post in the requests/offers section). Moving on, your description was nice and detailed enough for a channel starting out. But you have a Grey Globe ERROR! on your twitter. a video about how to fix this is below.

Finally moving on to your latest video. obviously it was just you announcing that you've finished high school and all. the video & audio quality was good. Though I felt you could have written a lot more in your video description than 1 line and 1 link.

Overall Rating: 5/10
Hello mate. i love this idea of yours to give great quality feedback and help others improve its amazing. please if you have time could you do one for my channel as i would love to know where it need to be improved.here is a link to my forum post asking for reviews.
https://freedom.community.tm/threads/hello-i-would-like-a-full-channel-and-video-review.226008/
you will find my latest video there and a link to my channel as well i hope you have time and i can't wait to hear what you think of my channel
thanks for your time
Killakestrel
(This Gamers Way)

Hello, below is your review. I like keeping the reviews I write in the same thread whenever I can. your review is below

Starting on the homepage as always. I liked the amount of content on it though the "Liked videos" shouldn't really be public, I does nothing good for your views really. I would've been nice to see some variety in the layout, see my channel to get an idea of what I mean and maybe some ideas on what to do. Looking at your trailer. I felt the intro part of the video to be pointless and if anything would just deter people away from your channel. When the video actually started, I felt you facecam was stretched and that you didn't really sound that excited. Try spicing it up a bit. Moving on to your channel art, I liked the idea of the look of the avatar but the text is not legible at all and the colour of the text didn't help with that. I also felt the banner was poorly designed, as most of the characters in it have their heads and feet cut off the desktop view and banner text could be clearer. Moving to the thumbnails, ouch my eyes!!!. These look terrible (been honest :) ). There isn't really any thumbnail design been used, the text is a different colour every video, there is too much text of some of the thumbnails, some images are stretched & the same background is used in multiple videos. Try making a template or style and sticking with it. Moving on to the rest of your channel, I liked the amount of detail in your description though putting your links in your about section doesn't help you much. You also have the grey globe error! Check the video below to fix this.

Finally watching your latest video, I liked your style of last time.... I found that funny. Though the Intro was FAR TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!. I don't think I can emphasise that enough to people. Either cut its length of get rid of it, It just makes people want to leave. 3-5 seconds longs is about as long as you want to go unless its really catching like for instance game theory's one. I liked the links in the description though I would've been nice if it wasn't that much spread out & your tags could be a bit more related to your video.

Overall Rating: 4/10

killakestrelGaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 23, 2015
YouTube
Killakestrel
Hello, indeed reviews can help people improve in area's they may not think about themselves. below is your review.

Starting on your homepage. I felt there could have been a bit more done here. Maybe try adding some playlists of your videos here and try mixing up the layout style as well. See my channel homepage for a good example of this. I took a look at your channel trailer while I was there and I must admit enjoyed it, though the trailer visuals could really be a bit more interesting to look at. Like at the start instead of blackness maybe having videos blurred out playing at fast speeds. Then having the text a good colour with a border to stand out over it. That would make it a lot more appealing to watch at the start and might keep people watching it for a bit longer. Moving on to your channel art, I loved your avatar but the banner let it down really. especially with the random black bar near the top and the square box in the middle trying to make the text stand out. Maybe try using different effects or even just bordered text to make the text stand out instead of a box. Looking at your thumbnails, I'm gonna be honest, I cringed a little just looking at some of them. Just to mention a few problems with them; too small text, generic fonts (from cooltext "keen" I believe), horrible colour choices, stretched images & thumbnails been too similar. I think you get the idea. (unfortunately I personally don't run a service for thumbnails yet, but you may find help if you post in the requests/offers section). Moving on, your description was nice and detailed enough for a channel starting out. But you have a Grey Globe ERROR! on your twitter. a video about how to fix this is below.

Finally moving on to your latest video. obviously it was just you announcing that you've finished high school and all. the video & audio quality was good. Though I felt you could have written a lot more in your video description than 1 line and 1 link.

Hello, below is your review. I like keeping the reviews I write in the same thread whenever I can. your review is below

Starting on the homepage as always. I liked the amount of content on it though the "Liked videos" shouldn't really be public, I does nothing good for your views really. I would've been nice to see some variety in the layout, see my channel to get an idea of what I mean and maybe some ideas on what to do. Looking at your trailer. I felt the intro part of the video to be pointless and if anything would just deter people away from your channel. When the video actually started, I felt you facecam was stretched and that you didn't really sound that excited. Try spicing it up a bit. Moving on to your channel art, I liked the idea of the look of the avatar but the text is not legible at all and the colour of the text didn't help with that. I also felt the banner was poorly designed, as most of the characters in it have their heads and feet cut off the desktop view and banner text could be clearer. Moving to the thumbnails, ouch my eyes!!!. These look terrible (been honest :) ). There isn't really any thumbnail design been used, the text is a different colour every video, there is too much text of some of the thumbnails, some images are stretched & the same background is used in multiple videos. Try making a template or style and sticking with it. Moving on to the rest of your channel, I liked the amount of detail in your description though putting your links in your about section doesn't help you much. You also have the grey globe error! Check the video below to fix this.

Finally watching your latest video, I liked your style of last time.... I found that funny. Though the Intro was FAR TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!. I don't think I can emphasise that enough to people. Either cut its length of get rid of it, It just makes people want to leave. 3-5 seconds longs is about as long as you want to go unless its really catching like for instance game theory's one. I liked the links in the description though I would've been nice if it wasn't that much spread out & your tags could be a bit more related to your video.

wow thanks man i really appreciate your review. its honest and to the point and i have alot to work on. honestly your the first person who has actually been this blunt on my channel and honestly i wish it would of been sooner i could of done more if i had known all of these points thanks i will work on it and if its ok when im done if you could review the changes i would appreciate it.

Reactions: Jonathan

killakestrelGaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 23, 2015
YouTube
Killakestrel

hi mate I have done some tweaks to my channel. the new style of intro and videos will start with my next video but i have changed alot please can you take a look and let me know what you think of my channel as it stands now
i would really appreciate it thank you for your time

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
I would love a review. Been trying to think what I can do to improve my channel!

Sure, here's your review

Starting on your homepage, I liked the amount of content on it, but it would be nice to see some variety in layout style (see my channel for a good example of this). Going onto the channel art, I liked the avatar but felt that the banner didn't compliment it. If anything I felt it was a massive contrast, While it may look good, its so out of place, realistically an invert of colours might make it fit in better. Moving to the thumbnails.....well........this needs some work. While I like the style your trying to go with, there is just SO MUCH stretching, text fonts & similar images in each thumbnail. You also seem to have like 5-6 different templates in use on your channel from older versions of your channel. That doesn't help the situation either. As for the rest of your channel you need to actually write a about me section. You should be able to come up with something after the amount of videos you have up. You may also want to get twitter / facebook for your channel so people can interact with you more. I recommend twitter at a minimum as you can get free retweets from many people which helps a lot with exposure (#FreedomFamily is a good one to start with). Finally watching your latest video, I felt that the commentary really sounded a bit dull, with not much of an intro. It would also be nice if you have edited out the obs setting up at the start of the recording. Its kinda unprofessional to leave that in just like that. Though I did like the detailed description and good choice of tags.

Hello, you have already helped me with some info but and detailed review would be awesome, thanks.
Hello again :), here's your full review.

Starting on your homepage, I liked how you have a good amount of content on it and that you've tried editing the layout a bit. However I felt that they could be ordered a bit better. Maybe having the more active / latest series at the top followed by the older series followed by your general uploads. Moving to your channel art, i really liked the style and how it remained consistent and simple. But I did feel that the avatar would be better with just the initials of the channel instead of the full name, as it is a bit small. Going on to your thumbnails, it would be nice to have different backgrounds per video as well as clearer text, I struggled to read the "Guardians of Ember" ones in particular. Moving to the rest of your channel, I felt the about section could use a little work. You could write a bit more about yourself & also provide a bit more detail on your PC as CPU & GPU is a bit vauge when people want to know your specs. Something like this is good: http://devj.uk/equipment. Your social links are all good :). Finally watching your latest video. Firstly I loved you little intro slide :) that's how an intro should be done! Well Done! I also likes the quality of the video & audio. I did feel the description & tags were a bit under filled. Maybe try working on this.

hi mate I have done some tweaks to my channel. the new style of intro and videos will start with my next video but i have changed alot please can you take a look and let me know what you think of my channel as it stands now
i would really appreciate it thank you for your time
Instead of writing another full review I'll just go over what I like / dislike over the changes I can see.

Starting with the channel art, I liked the new style, nice & simplistic but I felt that your full channel name should be in the banner. You've got the room for it so why not use it. I also felt the banner could have a bit more going on with it. Even if its just a nice background that's blurred out a bit. for your thumbnails I liked the new style is nice and unified but your channel initials could be closer together. To me they feel to spread out as they are. The twitter icon is fixed :) Finally something I don't think I spotted first time around, links in your about section, just don't bother with them unless its really important & your channel goals are outdated, says you've already hit the 100 subs, your on 80.

Updated Rating: 6/10

Hunlight

Freedom! Member
Aug 23, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
Sure, here's your review

Starting on your homepage, I liked the amount of content on it, but it would be nice to see some variety in layout style (see my channel for a good example of this). Going onto the channel art, I liked the avatar but felt that the banner didn't compliment it. If anything I felt it was a massive contrast, While it may look good, its so out of place, realistically an invert of colours might make it fit in better. Moving to the thumbnails.....well........this needs some work. While I like the style your trying to go with, there is just SO MUCH stretching, text fonts & similar images in each thumbnail. You also seem to have like 5-6 different templates in use on your channel from older versions of your channel. That doesn't help the situation either. As for the rest of your channel you need to actually write a about me section. You should be able to come up with something after the amount of videos you have up. You may also want to get twitter / facebook for your channel so people can interact with you more. I recommend twitter at a minimum as you can get free retweets from many people which helps a lot with exposure (#FreedomFamily is a good one to start with). Finally watching your latest video, I felt that the commentary really sounded a bit dull, with not much of an intro. It would also be nice if you have edited out the obs setting up at the start of the recording. Its kinda unprofessional to leave that in just like that. Though I did like the detailed description and good choice of tags.

Hello again :), here's your full review.

Starting on your homepage, I liked how you have a good amount of content on it and that you've tried editing the layout a bit. However I felt that they could be ordered a bit better. Maybe having the more active / latest series at the top followed by the older series followed by your general uploads. Moving to your channel art, i really liked the style and how it remained consistent and simple. But I did feel that the avatar would be better with just the initials of the channel instead of the full name, as it is a bit small. Going on to your thumbnails, it would be nice to have different backgrounds per video as well as clearer text, I struggled to read the "Guardians of Ember" ones in particular. Moving to the rest of your channel, I felt the about section could use a little work. You could write a bit more about yourself & also provide a bit more detail on your PC as CPU & GPU is a bit vauge when people want to know your specs. Something like this is good: http://devj.uk/equipment. Your social links are all good :). Finally watching your latest video. Firstly I loved you little intro slide :) that's how an intro should be done! Well Done! I also likes the quality of the video & audio. I did feel the description & tags were a bit under filled. Maybe try working on this.

Instead of writing another full review I'll just go over what I like / dislike over the changes I can see.

Starting with the channel art, I liked the new style, nice & simplistic but I felt that your full channel name should be in the banner. You've got the room for it so why not use it. I also felt the banner could have a bit more going on with it. Even if its just a nice background that's blurred out a bit. for your thumbnails I liked the new style is nice and unified but your channel initials could be closer together. To me they feel to spread out as they are. The twitter icon is fixed :) Finally something I don't think I spotted first time around, links in your about section, just don't bother with them unless its really important & your channel goals are outdated, says you've already hit the 100 subs, your on 80.

Updated Rating: 6/10
Thanks for review helped alot, will try to work on better thumbs but I wont do them different every time in my opinio that way is better I knwo lots of popular channels liek that and I like when other channels got it this way. Changed avatar (seems little slow on uplaod cant see it updated on youtube.) also added lots mroe info on about page not as much as u showed in the link above but still smth. Thanks for opinion and I appreciate that u liked the quality of video and audio I will try my best to make it even better layter on :) Check out the changed if possible. Also changed the layout as u mentioned forgot to mention before.

Reactions: Jonathan