Do you use profanity?

Quatec

Apr 21, 2016
Quateck
I've been deciding whether or not to swear or use profanity in my videos and I've decided not to.

Why? The most important reason being I don't use profanity in the first place. If I'm angry, I just yell and not swear continuously swear. Additionally, it would help me grow not because it's better to not use profanity, but that means that my content could be based off family friendly content, therefore more and more views and subscribers depending if people like my content or not.

Sure, profanity would be more funnier with reactions and more other stuff, but I'd rather be a child's inspirer, than a funnier guy.

Do you use profanity, and why?

Reactions: Kingsteel

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
I don't and it's the same reason as you.
I want my channel to reach a broader audience sometimes I will use a very random s*.... or F*... but I try to not make it a regular thing and just only let it happen in the spur of the moment while vlogging because that still has to be real and me and I don't want to censor my personality.

Quatec

Apr 21, 2016
Quateck
I don't and it's the same reason as you.
I want my channel to reach a broader audience sometimes I will use a very random s*.... or F*... but I try to not make it a regular thing and just only let it happen in the spur of the moment while vlogging because that still has to be real and me and I don't want to censor my personality.
I feel like I'm going to use it in a similar way.

I tend to edit out or censor any profanity in my videos and any left in is because I've missed them in editing o_O
Perhaps I'll be doing this, though it would be very time consuming. Thank you.

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
First of all: Yeeeuuuppp.

But I try not to.
Key word is "try," but I often fail. I don't swear due to anger but sometimes it's mostly out of like shock / surprise. Something pops out in front of me in a horror game: scream or holy bleep!

Reactions: Kingsteel

TheAimGames

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2014
Where the sun doesn't shine
YouTube
I used to censor my videos because my friends swear like a pirate. I personally couldn't swear properly sometimes. I kept saying "What the poo" or "Fudge this" or "Freaking heck" every time something comes up. I stopped uncensoring my videos when I asked my audience about it and 90% of them want me to uncensor my videos since majority of them are teens and young adults.

slizerbladez

Gaming and Commentary
Freedom! Member
I'm not really bothered by profanity use, I don't find it offensive or anything, so I tend to swear all the time. There have been a few times where I make a concious effort not to, but in the end it just keeps slipping out.
If you make a slip up in your videos, just bleep it out. Unfortunately that's not an option for me, because I do it so often.

Jdlikefood

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 17, 2016
YouTube
I do mostly because I don't really have a filter and it just kind of happens. I can't decide whether I want to censor or not though. It kind of adds to the comedy, but I don't know if censoring will give the same effect or not.

Quatec

Apr 21, 2016
Quateck
Thanks guys! It is nice to see a range of responses and debates on this topic. I personally do not swear myself which was almost the entire reason to not swear on my channel.

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
I've been deciding whether or not to swear or use profanity in my videos and I've decided not to.

Why? The most important reason being I don't use profanity in the first place. If I'm angry, I just yell and not swear continuously swear. Additionally, it would help me grow not because it's better to not use profanity, but that means that my content could be based off family friendly content, therefore more and more views and subscribers depending if people like my content or not.

Sure, profanity would be more funnier with reactions and more other stuff, but I'd rather be a child's inspirer, than a funnier guy.

Do you use profanity, and why?

I swear in my videos but I don't swear more than I would in usual conversation.

It depends on you if you swear in natural speech you might find it hard to get comfortable on camera and adjust your speech pattern.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I definitly swear alot...

But i suggest you not swear if you dont normally...

Its better to be family friendly... kids make up a huge portion of youtube views

ThatNerdWithTheHair

Freedom! Member
Apr 18, 2016
YouTube
nerdwiththehair
I go to great lengths not to use profanity, and I tell myself that "at least I wont be a bad influence for kids" but really it's for pretty dumb reasons. One reason, I barely swear. I only started swearing a little when I was getting out of high school and I only curse in front of like 3 people. Even then, it feels unnatural, so I just typically don't. Second, I post my videos on facebook, and a lot of the people on my facebook are older people who are a bit sensitive to language like that, and I can't just assume they wont watch my videos out of curiosity. I try to avoid offending people when I can.

When I'm doing videos, I tend to use extremely childish curse words. "Son of a cracker", "turd-bag", etc etc. (facepalm)

EDIT: However, I've thought about this subject before seeing this thread, and I wouldn't be surprised if, getting more into gaming, I unintentionally got a bit more of a sailor mouth. Not throwing curse words all over the place, mind you, but a few here and there.

Nordic Chronicles

Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Jun 8, 2014
U.S.A, Illinois.
It depends on the content, if it something like my Cards video, then profanity is all there. If there is rage gameplay, then that too. However, if I'm working on a guide or video series which follow a story, profanity is a big no.