Do you use your game capture device for pc?

incapablegamer

Freedom! Member
Mar 21, 2016
maine usa
YouTube
the one that i linked is for a desktop. i dont know if the have one for a laptop. and where a laptop is more compact i know for sur ethe card i linked wont work.

i do know alot of people use elgato that you can hook up hdmi to it and capture that way including pc as long as you have a hdmi out on your pc. but i belive you would need a 2nd pc to do so

G

Gods of Odds

the one that i linked is for a desktop. i dont know if the have one for a laptop. and where a laptop is more compact i know for sur ethe card i linked wont work.

i do know alot of people use elgato that you can hook up hdmi to it and capture that way including pc as long as you have a hdmi out on your pc. but i belive you would need a 2nd pc to do so
I have a gaming laptop which does have hdmi but would it actually be better than just using obs then?

incapablegamer

Freedom! Member
Mar 21, 2016
maine usa
YouTube
that would be a matter of preference and opinion. ive used obs and didnt like it. but i know some people use it and like it. so that would be up to you. i would research them both of them and find out the pros and cons

G

Gods of Odds

that would be a matter of preference and opinion. ive used obs and didnt like it. but i know some people use it and like it. so that would be up to you. i would research them both of them and find out the pros and cons
Ok thanks, I do have the Elgato hd60 so wouldn't it be better quality than obs?

Spud

Respected User
Jun 11, 2016
England
YouTube
TheWonderSpud
No, I use FRAPS which is becoming outdated and lowers the framerate a lot! I am thinking of switching to a different screen recorder or a capture device such as Elgato.

Demkeys

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 4, 2014
YouTube
abhinav_Demkeys
Not really a device in our case, just a software. I don't do game capture but my bro does. Both he and I use OBS (Open Broadcast Software). It's free and does a pretty good job for a free software. Plus, if you have any sort of capture issues, you can head over to the OBS Forums and the people there will help you out in whatever way they can.

Spud

Respected User
Jun 11, 2016
England
YouTube
TheWonderSpud
Not really a device in our case, just a software. I don't do game capture but my bro does. Both he and I use OBS (Open Broadcast Software). It's free and does a pretty good job for a free software. Plus, if you have any sort of capture issues, you can head over to the OBS Forums and the people there will help you out in whatever way they can.

I wanted to use OBS but I found that the quality was much lower than the quality I got from recording with FRAPS. :oops:

Slothful Ripple

Rising User
Jun 12, 2016
United Kingdom, London
YouTube
I use Fraps to record gameplay and OBS to stream, I only use my Elgato Game Capture for Xbox One footage, other than that it doesn't get used for anything else, also it's the older model so I couldn't even if I wanted to I don't think :)

Demkeys

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 4, 2014
YouTube
abhinav_Demkeys
I wanted to use OBS but I found that the quality was much lower than the quality I got from recording with FRAPS. :oops:
What I've noticed with OBS is that if you get the settings right, you can do good quality captures. There are a lot of settings in OBS that I have no idea what they do, but that's where the OBS community comes in, because they are more than willing to help. Based on your system specs and the type of content you wanna record, they give you the appropriate settings that would work best for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slothful Ripple

Slothful Ripple

Rising User
Jun 12, 2016
United Kingdom, London
YouTube
What I've noticed with OBS is that if you get the settings right, you can do good quality captures. There are a lot of settings in OBS that I have no idea what they do, but that's where the OBS community comes in, because they are more than willing to help. Based your system specs and the type of content you wanna record, they give you the appropriate settings that would work best for you.

Nice info, might have to look into it more! :)