How did you find out about Minecraft?

ZL123

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
May 29, 2014
YouTube
A friend! Okay, I've told this story many times, but not on here, so here we go...

One day a couple of people I knew were sitting down, playing this really weird, blocky game. I didn't know what it was, but they were kind of secretive and didn't want me to know. I could hardly look at it.
Fast forward to a couple of weeks later - I saw another someone playing what looked like the same thing. But we didn't really know how to play it properly! He had downloaded an application called InvEdit (I know, back when that was a thing!) and just took items from that interface. It was real funny looking back at it now. We didn't understand why our gold tools kept on breaking randomly, so we just got stacks of them at a time. He was building a pool, and pointed at this silent green creature a few blocks below us. He said it was deadly. I was pretty fascinated and when I got back home I immediately downloaded both of them. I played with it a bit. This was Beta 1.4. I did not understand why my gold pickaxe couldn't mine diamonds (I was ten, okay?)! Are there creepers in peaceful mode? What does a crafting table do? It looks weird! (The crafting table happened to be one of the last blocks I'd come across. Weird, ain't it? That's what you get for using InvEdit.)

So there was a hiatus for me. I stopped playing it for a while, but after Beta 1.6 came out I decided... eh, why not try this thing again. I played for a while. Then I found powered rails. "Why do these powered rails stop my minecart instead of pushing it along?" So I decided to look up videos of Minecraft on YouTube, and came across paulsoaresjr's Survive and Thrive series! So I started following what he did, and eventually became quite proficient in playing this amazing game! Okay! Powered rails have to be powered for minecarts to accelerate over them! Crafting table is one of the most basic blocks! How could I have not known about it? Gold pickaxes aren't strong enough to mine diamonds! Gold pickaxes aren't strong at all! Why would they be?

So I was pretty excited when the Beta 1.8 pre-release came out. Wow, ravines! Cave spiders! But the thing that I found the most awesome was creative mode. I started to build huge walls of bedrock. I built large railway systems connecting towns I'd built. Everything was cool.

So when 1.0 was released (I didn't use the Beta 1.9 pre-releases and I've never been to a Minecon, sadly) I was real excited now! Apples from trees! Mushroom Islands! I had been pestering her for a while, but my mum finally gave in and bought me a Minecraft account.

So that's pretty much my story!

Reactions: nickali

IceAspect

Aug 21, 2014
YouTube
I found out about Minecraft when I went to a friend's house. He showed me Minecraft Pocket Edition Lite, even though it was lite, I still thought it was awesome. I later on got Minecraft PE full version, I thought that was even better! Eventually I got Minecraft PC edition.

DLAGamer

New User
Feb 25, 2014
I first discovered Minecraft through the Yogscast on YouTube. They really got me into the game and especially in their Shadow of Israphel series. Those were good times. I do run a Minecraft channel now called DLAGamer. You can find it here if you're interested! http://www.youtube.com/DLAGamer

motorpotter

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
i remember going on the online one that was the alpha if i remember rightly messing around making my estate, then went off it for a year or 2, then my mate then reintroduced me to it and now make football stadiums, f1 style of original tracks and also now the biggest and hardest project ive done which is the uk rail network (not to scale as i cannot be bothered to do that)

Chukalompee7

New User
Jul 25, 2014
I started watching PaulSoaresJr's 'How to Survive & Thrive' series when it first came out and I've been hooked ever since.
I run occasional Minecraft series, mostly on a server owned by a friend, but sometimes I do minigames.

Lol, same thing.

NocTurN

Freedom! Member
May 17, 2014
YouTube
_NocTurN_
It was through word of mouth. I just kept hearing the name Minecraft this and that and decided to check it out myself. Happy to say, I'm not disappointed by finding out about it

Hiroyuki0487

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 1, 2014
Home :P
YouTube
Actually I heard about minecraft threw Multiple Places, so I decided to buy it and play it, most my Vid's are Minecraft realated followed closely by Vocaloids.

One place that really stood out o me as the internet to get the game.

Filip Drobnjak

Rising User
Sep 15, 2014
YouTube
I heard that Mojang is making it,and I played it since it is released,long time ago ^-^ !
And now I am making minecraft videos !
Mind to check them out ?

TheEpicGaming

New User
Sep 15, 2014
YouTube
I said to my friend cause he was bragging about some update "Minecraft is for nerds dude. I'll download the free version and prove it!" And that's when I got hooked and started watching and making videos, lol.