I need help Partitioning my Workstation =)

Minoumimi

Founder Of GameByteTV Network
Freedom! Member
Oct 15, 2014
Canada
www.gamebytetv.com
YouTube
networkgbtv
Hi !
I normally never bothered to partition,
But now with a Workstation
I want to be able to Gain has much performance i can out of those Crappy HDD

Basically here is the HDD
Keep in mind my motherboard caps at 3gbs speed if even though the 1tb has 6gbs i could only use 3
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
Other one is
Hitachi GST Ultrastar A7K1000 HUA721050KLA330 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

Does Windows Really benefit from 64m Cache?
If not i would definatly use the 32m cache for windows and keep 64m one for games and softwares
my laptop runs a i5 5th gen with 8mb and is quick has hell so i dont see how it would really matters..

Here is the setup i was Thinking

Use the 500g 32m Cache Has Main Boot Device
Partition #1 100gb for windows / system
Partition #2 357gb Left for All documents raw material music/video/pics The Whole Library etc

Use the 1TB 64m cache has secondary
With either 2x 500gb Partitions One for gaming and the rest for all my 3d programs and more file hoarding Or
i make 4X 200gb Partitions For Steam Games
and use the 140g left to install my 3d programs And Adobe Master Suit..
the games and my creations would gain from the 64m cache
Partition #1 200g will have Steam / Gta5+Any FPS/TPS Games
Partition #2 200g will have Steam League+Hots +Indies+ Novels
Partition #3 200g Will have all external install games & origin games if i ever get it back i should for bf4 and Me3
Partition #4 200g Extra Storage Either Output folder for my 3D files or Xsplit Recordings
Partition #5 The Rest of it 150G for all my 3d softwares and adobe master suit collection installations

Smaller partitions prevent the lower peak # from droping too much i know that much which is why i am trying to go Loco on the amounts
But i also know that switching reading in between disk partitions could hinder/slow the second partitions rendering the whole thing useless
But with this setup windows runs on the Hitachi while Games or my 3d software runs on the Seagate
But Now here is what confuses me
If i have the output folder for either all my 3d/editing/recording software on a drive
Example
Running gta5 on partition #1 but then Xsplit is running on partition #5 on the same drive
and saving output folder on partition #4 on the same drive again
OR it would be Outputted into Partition #2 on the Hitachi Drive

Because if all those partitions end up bottlenecking each others then id simply do

Use the 500g 32m Cache Has Main Boot Device
Partition #1 200gb for windows / system But then id install things like Xsplit Hwmonitor etc etc here
Partition #2 257gb Left for All documents raw material music/video/pics The Whole Library etc

Partition #1 600g will have All Games
Partition #2 the rest 330g All my 3d Softwares and files

OR
Should i not even bother
And use The most simple of course..

Use 500g 32m Cache Has Main Boot Device
No Partitions, Install Windows on it and leave all vids and normal programs installed on it

No Partitions, All Games and 3d Softwares/editing and 3d Files and output folders in here

I doubt the workstation spec would matter but in case it does heres the specs
(2X) Intel Xeon E5620 Quadcore 2.6ghz
16g DIMM 1066 Rams
Nvidia GTX760
965w psu, the 2 hdd's

And ya i need to do it soon because i poped in my HDD from last machine and now my windows and bios is not working properly hwmonitor is not picking up the 16 threads and ya some stuff going on
So i want to format has quickly has i can to start the work =)

Hope anyway can finally make me stop banging my head on the walls =)
Thanks !

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Honestly, I think partitioning your hard drive like that is ridiculous. I recommend leaving each as one big chunk that is used for each side of your particular uses. (eg: 1 for YouTube stuff, 1 for games). Then within those hard drives, create folders where your things will go.

Minoumimi

Freedom! Member
Oct 15, 2014
Canada
www.gamebytetv.com
YouTube
networkgbtv
ya.. :p
Been testing out specs with hd tune and other kind of stuff and well
the 500g HDD was in the machine and its bad xD

Min value:39mbs
Max Value: 82.9 mbs
Average 66.4mbs
Starts Dipping down after 160g

So ya if i partitioned it at 150g for windows and use rest for documents would be good..
But then again if it is slower By X2 then my 1TB.. Even though i am broke right now...
I mean a 1tb drive is not the most expensive thing out there.. and mine is New since my older one SMART Died
so i could pick the same model up 100$ and i been running on 1TB for a year so..
Until 1TB SSD becomes actually affordable...and Especially reliable.. i cannot trust them or simply need way more room then they could ever offer me, and even 500g ones just totally ridiculously expensive.
a HDD SMART System will always or atleast 90% of times allow me to backup my work before dying even if it is at a considerable slower speed. and even if it dies might be recoverable in a way.
a SSD will just die instantly and is absolutely non recoverable.
My work is too Preciouuuuus to trust SSD's

Because the 1tb one is
Min : 56
Max 158
Average : 138 mbps
Dips down only after 750g o_O
though i dislike that Min value the Dip point is very high
if i made a 750g partition then Min value would be 100+ cause it dipped only after 800g

Thought my motherboard couldn't handle the 6gbps Data transfer rate of the 1tb..
But it clearly offers twice the speeds.. so it does accept it.
Or either it is the X2 cache speeds giving those Numbers
If my machine can take advantage of the transfer rate power then lol...
Simply using that 500g is slowling things down more then anything...
i will get rid of that crappy 500g one and keep it for backups of my 3d work or rebuild my old machine with it
reput rams the hdd and a quadro in it for purely simple tasks and use it has a office pc in the front room
And get another 6bps 64m cache one that i could even then run in Raid 0 on the workstation if i really want speeds
or at that point just having games on another drive would really increase performance
i wouldnt have the need to partition at all well maybe i could just partition both at 750g to ensure it doesnt peak to that ugly 56 mbps
and use remainings 250g partitions for storage.
And raid 0 always scared me since i started doing 3D.. SPeeds are not worth me loosing 15000hours of work in an instant, Increasing my unluckyness by 100% is a very bad idea xD
I am already has unlucky has a black cat Seing another Black cat while passing under a Ladder and breaking mirrors
Multiplying the risk factor is eeeek

Because basically the only reason i am trying to make my drive faster is because even if i backup so much stuff on mediafire i pay for it so alot of space
I always Hoard and hoard and hoard stuff xD so my drive is always 700g full or More even now and it was a brand new install a month ago
So even now simply using the 500g for storage would make my main drive faster even if i have windows + Games installed on it
Until i can then ya afford another 1tb to install and run games on

But no matter what lol
Best speed solution i see replacing the 500g
And ya for now using it has storage to free up my 1TB will already help me out (y) (Y)

GamerZ.Exe

New User
Nov 11, 2015
Dubai
YouTube
I recommend you to create two partitions , #1 partition you can use it for video editing or coding #2 partition you can use it to record videos or play games , And that means you should get more free space so I recommend you to get an SDD because it boots up much faster than a normal HDD I recommend you to get this:
Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 1TB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive SSD

It will give you a big performance boost at starting up applications.

Minoumimi

Freedom! Member
Oct 15, 2014
Canada
www.gamebytetv.com
YouTube
networkgbtv
sadly the whole reason i am doing this
is because i cannot trust ssd's or afford them since i need atleast 1tb size drives
i have way too many hours of 3d work and files that isnt completely backed up
i just pull off too much data weekly to back it all up in a fast manner
HDD SMART will always warn me and allow me time to back it up
a SSD can fail in an instant even with SMART and is 100% unrecoverable
Which is why i am thinking about all this with raid0
i would use Raid5 if i could fit 4 hdd in this machine to have both safety and speed sides
But even in raid0 if a disk fails i can back up my most important work replace the failing disk and reformat and reraid

And mostly lol there is no way i am paying 500$ for a single drive o_O
my wallet and my brain couldn't process that information
i could mount 4X 2TB HDD in a Second Box with their Own Psu in Raid5 for that price
Which would get me same speeds and safety

Boot time don't really matter to me at all, Workstations are opened 24/7 =3
it is all about the Data Transfer Rates Per Second
Like 3DS-Maya Rendering and especially After Effects Render time which if i upgrade to 64GB of Rams will go 4 times faster
My HDD wouldnt even accept the transfer speeds unless i raid0

So until SSD 1tb storage prices drops dramatically it is simply not an option i can use
my budget would only allow me to go for a 256g or 500g ones and that would just not be enough space for me
even if i had all storage on a secondary hdd, 500g is not enough for even games since gta5 alone is 100g so then id have to install my games on the HDD rendering the whole thing pointless
or Raid0 SSD oh hell no risks would be too high

If only i could afford them...Then yes id buy 2X2TB SSD
and would simply buy a bigger external drive then the one i got and backup my 3d Work Daily on that one and risk the SSD big time for those speeds