If Immortality was available, would you take it?

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
Hey Freedom Family, I was watching a video from Northernlion the last day or so and he brought up a topic which I think could have very opposed views. That topic is obviously in the title, Immortality.

Most would know, but if you don't, Immortality is basically eternal life, which means that you cannot die. If in the future, Immortality was available, or invented. Would you take it and live an eternal life? I do have an opinion to this, but I want to know what you think first, so my opinion will be hidden under a "Spoiler" box so that I do not push my opinion towards yours.

Well you really want to know how I look at this. I think that most people would say, "Yes, I would want to live an eternal life, I would not need to worry about death. I will never have to feel that bad emotion when someone close to you dies." I totally agree with that, to a certain extent. Our population is slowly increasing, and death is one of the "best" things to happen to society, don't get me wrong. This is because if we didn't have death, we will be overrun and we won't have enough space on Earth to survive. So will I take Immortality? No.. But if there was a way to extend life, only maybe another 100 years, I might take that, giving that aging will not greatly occur.

MSHAY Gaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2016
YouTube
Hey Freedom Family, I was watching a video from Northernlion the last day or so and he brought up a topic which I think could have very opposed views. That topic is obviously in the title, Immortality.

Most would know, but if you don't, Immortality is basically eternal life, which means that you cannot die. If in the future, Immortality was available, or invented. Would you take it and live an eternal life? I do have an opinion to this, but I want to know what you think first, so my opinion will be hidden under a "Spoiler" box so that I do not push my opinion towards yours.

Well you really want to know how I look at this. I think that most people would say, "Yes, I would want to live an eternal life, I would not need to worry about death. I will never have to feel that bad emotion when someone close to you dies." I totally agree with that, to a certain extent. Our population is slowly increasing, and death is one of the "best" things to happen to society, don't get me wrong. This is because if we didn't have death, we will be overrun and we won't have enough space on Earth to survive. So will I take Immortality? No.. But if there was a way to extend life, only maybe another 100 years, I might take that, giving that aging will not greatly occur.
If it was just for yourself then no, as you would leave any family and loved ones behind on a constant cycle, making life rather pointless.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Well then, if things get cooler every year, eternal life will be a constant cycle of better things. I guess seeing it that way would be good.
Plus it would be nice if I wasnt lying when I tell my daughters that Ill always be there for them... lol

Maybe I can become a Vampire one day...

That might work... right? Lol

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I don't think I would take immortality if it was offered, as then each day / week / year (take your pick) would just become a never ending cycle of repetition, knowing that nothing could hurt you, nothing could stop you and basically that there is nothing to fear. Not only that but as Crazylawrence said "if we didn't have death we would be overrun", the worlds population would keep growing until potentially there is no more space left on Earth and potentially we use all the natural resources that we have.

Also thinking on a societal point at the minute, what would come of incarceration then, what would be the point of having laws and rules, as there would be no point in locking people up in jail, as time served would have no meaning if people were immortal, what the worry about a few years here and there if you can live forever.

Anyway that is just my quick opinion on it.

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
Plus it would be nice if I wasnt lying when I tell my daughters that Ill always be there for them... lol

Maybe I can become a Vampire one day...

That might work... right? Lol

It might work indeed.. That does go into a deep side talking about not being there for them all the time because you wish you could.

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
I don't think I would take immortality if it was offered, as then each day / week / year (take your pick) would just become a never ending cycle of repetition, knowing that nothing could hurt you, nothing could stop you and basically that there is nothing to fear. Not only that but as Crazylawrence said "if we didn't have death we would be overrun", the worlds population would keep growing until potentially there is no more space left on Earth and potentially we use all the natural resources that we have.

Also thinking on a societal point at the minute, what would come of incarceration then, what would be the point of having laws and rules, as there would be no point in locking people up in jail, as time served would have no meaning if people were immortal, what the worry about a few years here and there if you can live forever.

Anyway that is just my quick opinion on it.

Using Law is a very good way to think about it. I was also thinking, Immortality doesn't stop pain right? It only stops death. So a problem with that is you could keep feeling pain, and it will never stop as you will never die.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Using Law is a very good way to think about it. I was also thinking, Immortality doesn't stop pain right? It only stops death. So a problem with that is you could keep feeling pain, and it will never stop as you will never die.
True I hadn't thought about that but apart from the obvious sources of pain, that could be mitigated - for example people hitting you with their cars etc (I'm not saying that would happen), but you wouldn't feel the lose of a loved one as they wouldn't die, or the lose of a pet assuming this would also apply to them as well so really what difference would it make?

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
**** yeah I wil!
guys think about it. being a youtuber for eternity! in the end you wil be the biggest. even if youtube shut down later. you always have other places like youtube and you can be the biggest then over there. specially because others wil die one day and stopping with growing. but you wil stay and keep going and keep growing and you have infinite time. and also for me I have nothing with family. the only one what should bother me if my best friend dies. but it wil also bother me if I die earlier than him because then I leave him behind. so... that doesn't make sense to me. so I have nothing to lose. and I wil see what the future wil be. maybe I wil even visit an other planet. like mars or klepler 438b.

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
Overall balanced opinions. 50% - 50%. Keep them coming.

**** yeah I wil!
guys think about it. being a youtuber for eternity! in the end you wil be the biggest. even if youtube shut down later. you always have other places like youtube and you can be the biggest then over there. specially because others wil die one day and stopping with growing. but you wil stay and keep going and keep growing and you have infinite time. and also for me I have nothing with family. the only one what should bother me if my best friend dies. but it wil also bother me if I die earlier than him because then I leave him behind. so... that doesn't make sense to me. so I have nothing to lose. and I wil see what the future wil be. maybe I wil even visit an other planet. like mars or klepler 438b.

I think you are overlooking becoming a gamer or making videos. You still have to think about space on Earth. If nobody dies, we will be overrun.