Is going from 8gb to 16gb of ram really worth it for editing?

TechGuruMax

Freedom! Member
Jan 30, 2016
YouTube
What I'm about to say might have already been said (I'll be honest, I stopped reading after the 20th comment). Personally I use a lot of the Adobe CC stuff. While tons of RAM is the life blood of having many of these Adobe CC programs open at the same time, it's not "necessary" to have them open all at the same time.

As content creators the scenario where you will have 2 Adobe CC programs open at the same time is most likely when you are using Media Encoder and Premier simultaneously. Adobe actively manages the available RAM. Meaning, if you have 8 gigs of RAM and tell Adobe "Hey, reserve 6 gigs of RAM for my Adobe Applications" So long as you only have 1 program open, it'll appoint most of that RAM to the program.
*Disclaimer* Adobe themselves say there can be such a thing as too much RAM, where just adding more and more RAM isn't going to improve performance, it's in their video self help files.

So what's my point? If you're starting out, and just making videos, you can get away with just 8 gigs of RAM, don't sweat it. If you have extra cash to treat yourself at some point, upgrade to 16. It'll make your computer run smoother and your video games will be happy.