Request Is my content entertaining?

BlueBard

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Oct 8, 2014
YouTube
Hi!

I'd really like to know if my videos are entertaining. Here are two I think are my 'best' each in a slightly different style. Could you guys perhaps give an idea if my videos are any good? If it's something you would watch, and if not, why not?

NOTE: Please be brutally honest. I am opening the door for good open criticism.

I'd rather have an honest harsh opinion than a fake good one :)

Thanks!

LeoGaming

Freedom! Member
Dec 22, 2016
Singapore
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Your content will be entertaining to your own audience who wants to watch these type of videos. Your editing is great and so are the thumbnails.

However, there are some things that I would like to highlight about your commentary. Your commentary does not sound natural. That may make the watching experience of your audience quite passive and they will not feel like they are connecting and hearing a real person. That way of speaking may be fine on television as it is supposed to be pretty passive. But on YouTube, there are features such as comments, liking, disliking and subscriptions. All these make the YouTube experience not as passive as television. So your content should also be inclined to be a more personalised experience and your commentary definitely plays a big role in this.

Here are a few ways that can help you to become more natural in your commentary:

1. Treat recording like talking to a friend. (A little cliched but it does work well!)

2. Try not to do multiple takes. If you stumble on a word, just correct yourself. This surprisingly adds to how natural you are as it shows that you are human!

3. If you are scripting your videos, try to only use main points to guide you through what you want to say and not use a word for word script. That will pretty much force you to be natural as you have to come out with your own words as you record since you do not have a word for word script.

4. Practise and practise. Just make more videos! That makes you more natural in front of the camera over time!

This is all I have for you. I hope it helps! Keep growing!!:)

Reactions: BlueBard

BlueBard

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Oct 8, 2014
YouTube
Hi LeoGaming!

Thanks so much for taking the time to watch and review my content! I really appreciate it ^_^

I do agree my current narration is perhaps a little restrictive and wooden, I am still 'finding my voice' so to speak :) and I am planning on having more open discussions on mythology and folklore.

Although I do understand what you mean, I still feel the need to clarify: My videos are not Vlogs. They are shorts bursts of information given over a stylized video. So it's more 'voice over' than vlog. Vlog and Voice over have distinct styles.

If I was simply discussing open ideas or opinions like MundaneMatt or Diversity in Comics, then I would change the style to that, and my intricate editing wouldn't be needed.

I suppose my style is more 'TL:DR' or 'GameTheory' (which are far better of course, but you see the style I'm going for)

But using a conversational way of speaking in these information videos may be a little difficult as I try to 'visualize' everything I am talking about. Visualizing casual speak is downright suicide XD

Again, thanks for taking the time to view my content, you definitely gave me a starting point in bettering my videos!

Reactions: LeoGaming

LeoGaming

Freedom! Member
Dec 22, 2016
Singapore
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Hi LeoGaming!

Thanks so much for taking the time to watch and review my content! I really appreciate it ^_^

I do agree my current narration is perhaps a little restrictive and wooden, I am still 'finding my voice' so to speak :) and I am planning on having more open discussions on mythology and folklore.

Although I do understand what you mean, I still feel the need to clarify: My videos are not Vlogs. They are shorts bursts of information given over a stylized video. So it's more 'voice over' than vlog. Vlog and Voice over have distinct styles.

If I was simply discussing open ideas or opinions like MundaneMatt or Diversity in Comics, then I would change the style to that, and my intricate editing wouldn't be needed.

I suppose my style is more 'TL:DR' or 'GameTheory' (which are far better of course, but you see the style I'm going for)

But using a conversational way of speaking in these information videos may be a little difficult as I try to 'visualize' everything I am talking about. Visualizing casual speak is downright suicide XD

Again, thanks for taking the time to view my content, you definitely gave me a starting point in bettering my videos!
No probs! Good luck with the channel!! :)