I've left the Network

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
Hey guys,

As you can tell from the title, I want to explain my recent departure from the Freedom Network. To give you a history of this channel’s networking history, I was a YouTube partner up until December 2014, when I then decided to make consistent content in hopes of garnering a bit more of a following. I heard about Freedom through some recommended videos, and their pitch was pretty good. They promised things like creative control, music libraries, a vibrant community, and a no-lock-in contract. Back then, being able to leave whenever you wanted was quite appealing since many hearing horror stories about channels being locked into terrible contracts with bigger networks. Freedom also had no requirements so anyone, literally ANYONE could join provided they had good community standing and no copyright strikes.

I spent the first few months with Freedom itself, and then transferred to BlackoutMedia, a subnetwork of theirs for the promise of faster and more personal support. I grew to know the owner of Blackout quite well, and I was pretty content to be partnered with them, even if the split was 60/40. My channel started to grow faster in the summer of 2015 when I decided to focus on Dota 2, and soon I requested a revenue share increase to 70/30, which I got no problem. A month later in September, I requested another increase, and was told by support that was no problem, and could even get 90/10 since my channel was getting more than 10,000 views a day putting me in the highest revenue share bracket. FYI, Subnetworks still have to go through Freedom support to get revenue increases approved.

But here is where things became fuzzy. BlackoutMedia, for whatever reason, was dissolved and absorbed by another subnetwork called Ziovo at the end of October. Being a little worried that my revenue increase request had been lost somewhere in support cyberspace, I immediately contact Ziovo support and asked them to check on the status of that request. They said they would, and I took them at their word. This was a BIG mistake on my part.

I didn’t check on my revenue share status until November, when to my dismay I discovered it was still at 70/30. I then initiated what became a series of e-mails back and forth between Ziovo support and myself, trying to get progress made on this issue. In short, their communication was very lackluster.

They eventually told me I would get 80% with no explanation otherwise, and when I asked if I’d get 90%, they just "yes it will be set to it".

One month later, it still was not increased to 90%.

And here I am, I’ve left freedom to join Curse Union for Gamers, who give all partners 90% as long as they are eligible to join. It’s nice to be part of a network that has minimum standards. They still have access to the same music library I’ve always used, Epidemic sound, and I’ve got high hopes for meeting some other like-minded partners who are growing as I am.

There were several other reasons I felt Freedom wasn’t for me anymore, but I don’t think going into details is necessary since you can just do a quick google search and find a myriad of other partners and former partners relating the same points. It’s funny too, Freedom support (not Ziovo) actually reached out in an e-mail the day before I was to be unlinked, asking if there was anything they could do to keep me on board, including increasing my revenue share to 90%. I e-mailed him back of course, just explaining my reasons for leaving. They took it pretty and came back with a 95/5 offer. As tempting as an extra 5% was, I declined. Trusting Freedom to keep their word in a timely manner was something I just couldn’t do anymore. They unlinked me with no issues after the 30 days were up.

I do appreciate Freedom for helping me start this journey, and the community was a big part of why I didn’t give up after the first few months. I made friends there I’ll stay in touch with, and I’ll likely check in on their Forums from time to time, as spammy as they sometimes may be.

It’s time to start a new chapter, and I’m eager to see where this goes.

Peace.

TLDR: I left Freedom because of un-kept promises and poor support.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
It is nice that Freedom! let's just about anyone in, but that is also their biggest downfall. If they let people in that had already proved themselves worthy of making YouTube videos, something even as low as 250 views per month would be an adequate minimum standard. This would help keep the desperate 'content creators' out of the mix and create a better community among Freedom! partners.

It would simply be better that way, and I would complain about how this links to the networks "growth model" but that doesn't matter.

Best to you and your future endeavors on YouTube.

Prology

Legendary User
Freedom! Member
Jun 14, 2015
YouTube
Hey dude , this is very interesting and not the first time I have heard something like this but I understand , I wish you all the best and I hope you do well , hopefully we will speak again , goodluck :)

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
Hey @Phil Kidd,

You've meant a lot to this community and you definitely don't deserve that kind of treatment. Even though it won't be with Freedom!, I'm glad you're moving on with your channel which is very successful!

You will be welcome to stay on the forums if you wish, and we'll continue trying to keep the spam down to a minimum haha. :)

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
Sad to see you go Phil after all the time you have been with us. Hope you can still stick around the forums for a chat, good luck luck with your channel and hope your time with Curse goes well :)
Hey @Phil Kidd,

You've meant a lot to this community and you definitely don't deserve that kind of treatment. Even though it won't be with Freedom!, I'm glad you're moving on with your channel which is very successful!

You will be welcome to stay on the forums if you wish, and we'll continue trying to keep the spam down to a minimum haha. :)
Thanks guys, I'll definitely be sticking around the forums. Can't wait to see what 2.0 brings!

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I am not sure I really understand this all that well. It almost sounds like you are blaming something your sub-network did, on Freedom.

Trusting Freedom to keep their word in a timely manner was something I just couldn’t do anymore.

It wasn't Freedom though, it was Ziovo ... right? I mean it may run under the Freedom network, but it doesn't sound like you contacted Freedom directly when you where having issues, which is what I would have done. In fact I have in the past recently and worked things out with them.

There were several other reasons I felt Freedom wasn’t for me anymore, but I don’t think going into details is necessary since you can just do a quick google search and find a myriad of other partners and former partners relating the same points.

Except most points that are made are typically not very good or valid points. I think my biggest issue I have with people leaving for other networks is, other networks really don't offer anything all that better. Basically it just comes down to what name you want to be under.

So I think most people make the move simply because of the name like Curse, and they feel better to be associated with that name.

Personally, if I was to leave Freedom, I wouldn't be joining any other network, because if I feel like Freedom is no good, why would any other network be? It's all the same thing .. just different company. Except, I find Freedom is better simply because they seem to care a lot more than most other networks.

TheFriendlyBroski

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 4, 2014
London
YouTube
Funnily enough, I too left Freedom! this month but sadly can't join the network I want to join due to my current stats (which is Curse - Union for Gamers).

Freedom! is just poor. The quality of people allowed to join is way too low and I don't want to be apart of this network.

MMLY

Respected User
Nov 20, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Good luck bruh and wish you much continued success with your channel.[DOUBLEPOST=1452388185][/DOUBLEPOST]
Funnily enough, I too left Freedom! this month but sadly can't join the network I want to join due to my current stats (which is Curse - Union for Gamers).

Freedom! is just poor. The quality of people allowed to join is way too low and I don't want to be apart of this network.
Honestly freedom isnt bad for small channels especially when starting out but i get what you mean thats why i signed up with dropbacktv which works with freedom but better since its not as big as freedom so if i ever have an issue its easy to contact someone.