Misleading viewers

Mr Cotton

Nov 23, 2015
YouTube
Hello Freedom!

So far I've been here for a couple months and by far this is the best community I've ever been apart of! With that being said what I saw the other day has nothing to do with anyone from freedom, but he is however a larger channel with 100k+ subscribers. Now this individual was uploading a wave of XCOM 2 videos under the illusion he is playing on a high difficulty. His viewers paid no attention to it I assume to them not owning the game, but I most definitely did.

What happened is he put his game on the highest difficulty legend. Then edited the video to hide the fact he changed it back to a normal/easy. It was easily noticeable by all my friends attempting to follow behind me in my own series of uploading these very difficult missions. Most noticeable of all, there was a tutorial present in his entire series where there shouldn't have been one. His injured troops turned to battle within weeks instead of months. His technology also finished within weeks instead of months. Now it amazes me no one in his entire community called him out about it, but it really bothers me the misleading route he took on this. Is it really a common practice to do such a thing on Youtube?

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
I'd probably say yes it's quite common for people to lie and create fake videos, there have been a whole lot of these lately with prank videos. Where they first talk to/pay the people they are about to prank and then make it look like they never knew them. Usually if you lie in videos it eventually gets found out, if that's what he wants to do on youtube that's up to him. I think you are always better off making good genuine content in the long run.

FrostByteTV

Freedom! Member
Jun 8, 2015
USA
www.youtube.com
YouTube
FrostByteHDTV
I'd probably say yes it's quite common for people to lie and create fake videos, there have been a whole lot of these lately with prank videos. Where they first talk to/pay the people they are about to prank and then make it look like they never knew them. Usually if you lie in videos it eventually gets found out, if that's what he wants to do on youtube that's up to him. I think you are always better off making good genuine content in the long run.
I agree, for instance take a look at McJuggernuggets. He has been called out so many times and is still getting called out for being a fake.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Yeah people fake videos all the time...
its lame... for instance i sometimes do scratch n win videos... and when i film it i have no idea wether i won or not...

But there are other channels that know they won cause they already scratched and checked the barcode before the video starts... and they pretend to be surprised when they win... :/

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I really think that people like that are pathetic honestly. The thing is that not only is that common in YouTube as you ask but it's common in all walks of life really. The good thing is that people like that for one will never truly know the true feelings that one feels when they know they've achieved something real and two those types of people are eventually found out anyway. I guess what I'm saying is that I rather have something small that's real than something grand that is a lie.

Prology

Legendary User
Freedom! Member
Jun 14, 2015
YouTube
A lot of people do this to get views which is sad but you cant do anything about it , They will pay for doing this :)

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
Most video will only ever show what the person directing/editing want you to see so in a most will mislead. But there is defiantly a difference between misleading and out right lying.

Prank video, the more extreme the prank the more likely it is faked and so with other videos. The real question is will calling this guy out get the result you want or will it just draw more viewers to his channel?