Need some Help with mic setups..

Kalen Es

Rising User
Jul 29, 2015
YouTube
Hey all

So i have a current issue, well not so much of an issue but kind of annoys me slightly, i am currently using a blue snowball mic that is connected to an adjustable arm, now when i record my voice for my videos i have noticed for sometime that i pick up a lot of background noise (mouse clicks, use of the keyboard, even the seagull's Swarking as they flypast) now i know sometimes you cannot help this and for the most part i record my audio with Audacity so what i have been currently doing is getting the noise profile for what i can only describe as slight white noise/background noise and then repeating the reduce noise reduction a few times until its gone....

However i have recently started to record some Gameplay with friends through the xbox and started to make use of all the Elgato has to offer using the sound capture along side the video capture, now i have noticed that it is still picking up a lot of the background noise, i am wondering weather there is a way to reduce the background noise picked up by the snowball...

I am currently limited for space, so have not got the room for a complete full setup which i am hoping to go for sometime soon but for the time being ill have to make do...

i know that i could continue using the audacity way to solve the issue but after finding out that the elgato sound capture can record my voice it would make editing easier..

Any Help would be great, thanks in advance

Vers

Jan 30, 2016
1) Set your Blue Snowball to Unidirectional Cardioid (Setting 1 or 2). Face it away from your keyboard as much as possible.

2) You want your mic to be 6-8 inches from your mouth. Get a pop filter and put it 2" from the mic.

3) Set up your gain correctly in Audacity so that you average about -12 dB when talking normally. Now talk really loud and make sure it doesn't clip. If it does, turn it down a bit more and do it again.

4) A noise gate will get rid of any noise under a certain threshold. Do a test recording where you click your keyboard as you talk normally. Use this recording to set up a Noise Gate to where it minimizes keyboard clicks without messing with your voice.

5) Put a towel over your hands if you want to and/or get a keyboard that is quieter. I use a keyboard with Cherry Mx Brown switches and o-rings.

Noise reduction is not meant for getting rid of clicks. It is meant for getting rid of recurring noise profiles, such as a computer fan. Therefore I suggest:

Noise Reduction > Noise Gate > Compressor > Bass/trebel > Normalize

The first Normalize is redundant if you set up your gain and your compressor correctly. I suggest adjusting your threshold on your compressor to just above your smallest peak and setting your ratio to 4:1. Then adjust your attack and decay time to be a bit faster. If you are not doing it already, set a Bass reduction for anything below 100 Hz. Your voice won't go this low, so it will take out all of the rumbling noise from your mic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/letsplay/comments/3a582k/blue_snowball_picking_up_all_my_keyboard_and/