On desperation

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
This is opinion with personal experience and witnessing to back it up.

Desperation is something that inflicts us all on YouTube, at least those of us who are small channels with goals and ambition for growth. Let me make this thought train into a story process of sorts.

A new YouTuber uploads his first video. Let's say this video is on Minecraft to give an idea of a channel that would get minimal views on it's first video. This person pulled on the stops that made it the best SEO possible, but he still wakes up to find just 5 views on the video.

This person, perplexed by the lack of views, heads to the internet in search for ways to get more views. This is the beginning of desperation. It seems harmless, but he is in the want to get more views and exposure. Perhaps desperation is a bit strong for a word, but it works for the context that will be coming up.
This person goes on the internet and discovers, "oh, there are forums designed for this stuff". He boots himself online and signs up.

From here, there are two routes to take. There is the route of the internet-literate and he will try to follow whatever standards the forum has, or he will jump straight on and plug his channel everywhere he sees possible rather than fit.

This is YouTube desperation and where it starts. One feels as if YouTube alone is not enough to get what he wants, so he'll do whatever possible to get a few views.
Which this is a completely natural mindset, and while it can be discriminated on these forums for the improper use and what common sense should dictate is "spam", it is understandable through this context why someone would shamelessly advertise.

Anyone who comes to a forum to advertise, the thought pattern always boils down to the want for more views. However, there is a sharp line that separates the mindsets of "I want this" and "I need this". The latter being worse under the YouTube law: "desperation is disastrous", where the more someone tries to scrounge for individual views, the faster they'll be dissuaded from producing YouTube content.

There isn't a single YouTuber alive who doesn't want to get successful at some point, whether that is for the gratification of success or to be successful as a concept is a different post all together. It is up to the person behind the channel how bad they want it, and what lengths they'll try to go to, to get it.

monoman

Do animated video!
Freedom! Member
Dec 5, 2014
YouTube
Strongly agree with you. I am always annoyed by those desperate people who get subs by promoting sub4sub thingy.

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I came close to this when I just joined for I had 2 months of no growth but instead of sub for sub or overpromotion i asked for feedback to see if that would help. and well it did help

SuperMilkbox

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 8, 2015
YouTube
You've summed up a lot of how people think really clearly. I want to grow a fanbase myself. I don't wanna be the biggest YouTuber, but I do like it when people watch my stuff and I know they enjoyed it.
It's a shame that most people do the latter in what you mentioned, though.. : /

Sharrazar

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 12, 2015
United Kingdom
YouTube
sharrazar
I remember that this happened to me but now instead I learned to buckle down and plan and rewrite a new series that work better for me now just commentating in ooo i see trees or i see floor i am so excited! lols

Elesdee

Rising User
Jan 27, 2016
YouTube
Very well written. I did a lot of research before I started my channel and I knew from the beginning the whole sub4sub thing is a horrible idea. A lot of new Youtubers such as myself will definitely learn from this post.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Very well written. I did a lot of research before I started my channel and I knew from the beginning the whole sub4sub thing is a horrible idea. A lot of new Youtubers such as myself will definitely learn from this post.
That is very good on your part. I see far too many people trying to jump into YouTube with absolutely no idea what they're actually doing.
Kudos to you for thinking through what you're going to do and how.