Production videos vs Actual Personlity

AverageRageGamer

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2015
YouTube
I see smaller youtubers who post these AMAZING looking videos, high def... 60 FPS. Their webcam has a green screen, they look good, the mic quality is over the top perfect. Money was spent and time was taken to edit these videos and put all this into one video. All for... 15 views over a month.

Then you get someone like me who just records videos off his stream with a crappy mic, crappy webcam and a crappy 30 FPS El Gato and I can post a video and have almost 1000 views in a day.

Why is that? Well, if you have no personality that people can connect with... they are gonna click off your video before even giving it a chance.

My into is strong and to the point. No matter my quality, it gets people to maybe stay an extra few seconds. My personality gets them to subscribe.

Don't worry about your quality when starting out. Just let your good personality shine through at first. I bet you'll gain more subs that way and stress a whole lot less.

Kan

Superman
Freedom! Member
Jan 4, 2014
Metropolis
www.youtube.com
YouTube
AndrewKanFilm
I see smaller youtubers who post these AMAZING looking videos, high def... 60 FPS. Their webcam has a green screen, they look good, the mic quality is over the top perfect. Money was spent and time was taken to edit these videos and put all this into one video. All for... 15 views over a month.

Then you get someone like me who just records videos off his stream with a crappy mic, crappy webcam and a crappy 30 FPS El Gato and I can post a video and have almost 1000 views in a day.

Why is that? Well, if you have no personality that people can connect with... they are gonna click off your video before even giving it a chance.

My into is strong and to the point. No matter my quality, it gets people to maybe stay an extra few seconds. My personality gets them to subscribe.

Don't worry about your quality when starting out. Just let your good personality shine through at first. I bet you'll gain more subs that way and stress a whole lot less.

I have to disagree with some of this points. Quality is important, and if you can start with good quality I would recommend that. However, I do agree that personality is important too. That's part of the reason I grew my fanbase my personality, my opinions and my humor. I don't get 1,000 views a day, but I can get about 100 which is good seeing I have 1,000 subs :)

I say focus on doing unique and engaging videos and keep getting better! That is what helps build an audience too!

My final advice BE YOU no one else. That goes into the personality thing. If you have a unique personality like @AverageRageGamer said people will come!

Reactions: Riddikore

Riddikore

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2015
YouTube
I like to think of it as asking any fan why they watch a certain youtuber. They'll most likely say something about that youtuber's personality before mentioning the content. (y) (Y)

AverageRageGamer

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2015
YouTube
I have to disagree with some of this points. Quality is important, and if you can start with good quality I would recommend that. However, I do agree that personality is important too. That's part of the reason I grew my fanbase my personality, my opinions and my humor. I don't get 1,000 views a day, but I can get about 100 which is good seeing I have 1,000 subs :)

I say focus on doing unique and engaging videos and keep getting better! That is what helps build an audience too!

My final advice BE YOU no one else. That goes into the personality thing. If you have a unique personality like @AverageRageGamer said people will come!

Nothing but respect for you man, but I disagree. I feel production is not as important as people make it out to be. You have to be entertaining number 1, above all else or you won't have a shot.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
You might be right... I spend alot of effort making my videos high quality, and the growth of my channel is quite slow.

I don't know... maybe it isn't, but I've had almost half a million views... and still under 1000 subscribers... that's only like 1:500 ratio...

And I've seen other channels do really well with poorly made videos... so yeah... I have no idea. But I make videos that I enjoy so it really doesn't matter that much.

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
My videos are just naturally high quality :D :D

I have a very niche personality, love or hate.

To be fair, I would say that about half have subscribed for my personality and half for the quality of the videos (I do walkthroughs).

So production value can be good too.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Quality to me is more important and this is the reason why. Quality can be achieved instantly. It's also something you are going to eventually need anyway.

Personality is something you can continually work towards. The more you do youtube the better you will become at commentary. A very good example of this is to watch Jacksepticeye's old videos. His commentary isn't all that great. It takes practice, and it's not something one can achieve over night. Some people are better at it than others and require less practice.

Point is, yes, personality is important, but it's something that can always be improved as you make videos.

Edit:
Also, how do you know the reason you are doing so well has to do with your personality? How can you be sure it doesn't have to do with your content? The types of videos you make? Etc.

Why don't you just assume it's everything combined?

Also .. how do you know what worked for your channel and content, would work the same on a different channel with different content?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hail Kira

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
The other thing is personalty is really hard to quantify and judge what is a good personality or not, considering I am sure most people have different tastes in the kinds of personalities they like. I mean if anything, I think what we are talking here really isn't personality, but more about being energetic and out going. Which as I said, above it's really just something that takes practice. The more you do youtube, the better you will get.

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

AverageRageGamer

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2015
YouTube
The other thing is personalty is really hard to quantify and judge what is a good personality or not, considering I am sure most people have different tastes in the kinds of personalities they like. I mean if anything, I think what we are talking here really isn't personality, but more about being energetic and out going. Which as I said, above it's really just something that takes practice. The more you do youtube, the better you will get.

I agree at this, if you go back and listen to some of the very first videos of some bigger youtubers, and you'll see.

PinoyGamerChris

Respected User
Jul 12, 2015
YouTube
I agree on @AverageRageGamer about having personality, with little or no production quality at all. In my old channel, I used to do intros,outros,thumbnail, annotation and record in HQ video. But since I got 0 personally, I didn't get that far. So I just stop caring, stop doing commentary and just upload how many videos I like in my new channel that is not partnered.

I just upload videos for my self and stop caring if I get comments, views and subs. It just became of a habit of mine to upload, while I play a video game.

@Hail Kira Just be a "Yelper". =P

Reactions: Hail Kira