Promoting Your Channel

Excel

Rising User
Jan 9, 2016
YouTube
So after making a video, spending hours editing it just to your liking you post your video to YouTube with your fingers crossed. Hours later you take a look at your page only to see it has 9 views 0 - 1 likes. This can be disheartening trust me I know. So I'm here asking for tips on how to promote your channel/videos.

I know Tags are very important but aside that how can someone in my case grab the attention of those around me? What am I doing wrong? I make use of social media such as Twitter/Reddit and even google+ but I don't seem to be making a difference. Especially on google+ it seems people will +1 there with no actual change in view count. I want to know what do you guys use to get your channel out there, what tips can you share and what sites do you utilize?

As for my channel I know its good to be diverse but within a certain parameter, meaning don't have 7 - 8 random series. I'm striving for 3 at the moment. But is there maybe something I'm doing wrong?

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Advertising externally is very ineffective in most cases. Since you're just poking your finger at the fat blob that is a community of other YouTubers.
To get noticed, you must go where your target market is, and that is most certainly not on these forums, social media sites, etc.. All you find there is other YouTubers, if you have something to offer the YouTube minded person, you'll get some hits as I did when I made a YouTuber-oriented video.

I see you do gaming, that means you should be going to places where gamers are but YouTubers aren't. Which is difficult to do correctly.
Comment sections? No.
Reddit? Most places for gamers have rules against posting videos.
Google+? People use that?
Twitter? Sure, hashtags are alright, but don't try to drag people in by tagging their name.
Facebook? Maybe. But not in the comments section.

It is difficult to advertise appropriately, the only real way to do it is with adsense, but that costs money, so these free, ineffective substitutes for an otherwise working system will have to do.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
For me expanding your network is what helps. By meeting and socializing with other gamers, share opinions, collaborate on a game is what works best. In the beginning youtube is tough and dedication is what keeps you going. In time when you get to know more people you open new ways and in time gain more experience on how to make your channel better ;)

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
I will point out that it is destructive to your content quality if you try to collaborate with a stranger for the purpose of collaborating. You must enjoy the person you're collaborating with the produce a proper end product.
True that, main reason i only collab with A friends or B people i have gotten to know due to talking for a longer time.

FadedTiara

Jan 4, 2016
Warwickshire
YouTube
FadedTiara
DONT use reddit. i used that site and all i got was down thumbs, thats worse than not getting any views. i always try to improve. but leaving a thumbs down on 60% of my videos i never even posted on reddit without even leaving a comment i think is what cowards do. my main marketing is twitter, google+ and facebook. ill go on other peoples youtubes who play the same game and are higher up the ranks and leave a comment like for eg: love your video its awesome, i play the same games as you, maybe one day ill be this good. i hope that way i get views from there subscribers. DONT put sub for sub or look at my channel please. :)

Reactions: Gummy 951 and Excel

Excel

Rising User
Jan 9, 2016
YouTube
DONT use reddit. i used that site and all i got was down thumbs, thats worse than not getting any views. i always try to improve. but leaving a thumbs down on 60% of my videos i never even posted on reddit without even leaving a comment i think is what cowards do. my main marketing is twitter, google+ and facebook. ill go on other peoples youtubes who play the same game and are higher up the ranks and leave a comment like for eg: love your video its awesome, i play the same games as you, maybe one day ill be this good. i hope that way i get views from there subscribers. DONT put sub for sub or look at my channel please. :)

Oh I know putting sub for sub is like a huge no no xD I'd never do that, I'm trying to become more active on commenting on other videos and interacting with other crowds because I know thats also part of building an audience maybe thats a better way.

Reactions: FadedTiara

OwnOrKo

Freedom! Member
Jan 10, 2016
UK
YouTube
OwnOrKo
I have years of experience in SEO and SMO marketing and it really does matter what you do outside of youtube as gaining traffic through your social connectivity and from search results are a big priority.
It isn't easy sometimes to get your head around how to gain a good social audience and connect with the audience to get them to start checking your page often or liking/sharing content, as someone said on their post eariler they have trouble with Reddit... As a social bookmarking site it also has a community aspect meaning you'd have to contribute to other peoples posts in the right Groups as well as posting your own content.

If you need a bit of help or advice just drop me a message and ill help you with that side of things... here to help!

Reactions: Showdawee Tv

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
DONT use reddit. i used that site and all i got was down thumbs, thats worse than not getting any views.

Both correct and incorrect. In order to generate views from Reddit, you must post appropriately. I posted in /r/NewTubers and got some decent attention because I was marketing to my target market, YouTubers.

Posting anywhere will get you listed as spam and that's a big no-no for your channel. You must advertise appropriately to be received positively.

I find posting in Reddit attracts people who will try Sub4Sub, and many people who blindly click links. On my Reddit post, I told them not to reference their work in the comments, and they gave off the Sub4Sub vibe. Failures, the lot of them.

Reactions: FadedTiara

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Thats where i went wrong then, i posted in gaming.
Well. Outside of Youtube, it is near impossible to find a place that is open to the occassional posting of a YouTuber but is also meant primarily for gamers. You'll find one or the other, but very rarely both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Excel

Excel

Rising User
Jan 9, 2016
YouTube
I see well you all brought up excellent points and tips and I'll take them all into consideration! Killinggerk your channel is great keep it up man! Thanks everyone

majkxter x

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2016
YouTube
I am not good at promotion, and I don't have that much time to do it. I just make video and post it and if someone watch it, it is all good, I guess. :)