Starting in Artwork

PrairieDog1010

New User
Jan 17, 2016
YouTube
So I want to start drawing stuff on my computer but I don't know what to use. I have seen people do painting and they look like good software but I don't know what I should get. Please help me if you can!

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
Depends on what you wanna do:

• Cartoon Illustration - I recommend PaintToolSai. I've been using it since I was in high school, and it's awesome. It has a huge user base on deviantArt, too.
  • Logo Design - Illustrator / Photoshop. I recommend Illustrator because it creates everything as a vector, therefore, when you go to resize images, it won't lose pixel quality.
As for free ones, I believe there is one that's highly rated called "Gimp." I've personally never used it, but I know a lot of people who do. I think it does anything from photo manipulation to illustration. I could be wrong, though.

Before you do digital painting, you want to invest in a tablet. You could do it with a mouse, but it's just not going to be the same.
I have two, but I really only use one because it's more portable and convenient, and it's the Wacom Bamboo. You can get it off Amazon for about $70, as long as the prices haven't gone up over the years. It's smaller than computer paper and fits easily in your backpack, so if you have a laptop and need to work on art, you can easily store the Bamboo. The other one that I have is a Wacom Intuos, which is professional grade. It costs around $200. Really only get it if you're going to be a professional digital artist. Otherwise, Bamboo is just fine.

Reactions: FrostByteTV

PrairieDog1010

New User
Jan 17, 2016
YouTube
Depends on what you wanna do:

• Cartoon Illustration - I recommend PaintToolSai. I've been using it since I was in high school, and it's awesome. It has a huge user base on deviantArt, too.
  • Logo Design - Illustrator / Photoshop. I recommend Illustrator because it creates everything as a vector, therefore, when you go to resize images, it won't lose pixel quality.
As for free ones, I believe there is one that's highly rated called "Gimp." I've personally never used it, but I know a lot of people who do. I think it does anything from photo manipulation to illustration. I could be wrong, though.

Before you do digital painting, you want to invest in a tablet. You could do it with a mouse, but it's just not going to be the same.
I have two, but I really only use one because it's more portable and convenient, and it's the Wacom Bamboo. You can get it off Amazon for about $70, as long as the prices haven't gone up over the years. It's smaller than computer paper and fits easily in your backpack, so if you have a laptop and need to work on art, you can easily store the Bamboo. The other one that I have is a Wacom Intuos, which is professional grade. It costs around $200. Really only get it if you're going to be a professional digital artist. Otherwise, Bamboo is just fine.
Thanks this helped a lot!

Reactions: Enmoshin

GraphicarzaGG

Respected User
Feb 14, 2016
YouTube
hey man i use photoshop for all my artwork and from opinion i prefer photohsop but i have used gimp and its great froas begginer artist but eventually id recommend upgrading to photoshop, but dont start with photoshop, unless you start then decide you dont want to do this anymore then you're out 150 dollars

Graphicarza

Bee

Chief Creative Director of Optimize Group Ltd
Freedom! Member
Apr 20, 2014
California
optimizegroupltd.com
YouTube
I do all my digital painting on a Wacom Intuos in Photoshop and my drawings are done at work on a Wacom Cintiq in Photoshop/Manga Studio. Its a very expensive hobby as drawings are not something that I sell in my services but its a lot of fun to do :)