The dislike button

Megz & Lo

Rising User
Feb 14, 2016
YouTube
You work really hard on a video, spend hours editing. You're so proud of it and you finally upload it because you think it's great and funny and people are going to love it and guess what THEY DO. People comment on it saying it's great, they like it, you even get a couple subscribers from it! But then...someone clicks that dislike button and you think, why?
Here's the thing, you won't ever know why! All you need to know is that you worked hard and you're happy with what you created and you've made other people happy with what you created. Don't see that dislike as a defeat, you'll never be able to please everyone. As long as you're happy with what you posted, nothing else matters.
Keep on keepin on, you're all brilliant!
xo Lo

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
YouTube views the dislike button the same as the like button. It can simply be referred to as "community involvement". Shares, likes, dislikes, and comments all have the same value to YouTube. There is no penalty, but rather a reward for a dislike.

Doesn't mean you should go fishing for dislikes though.

Reactions: CarbonMeister

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
YouTube views the dislike button the same as the like button. It can simply be referred to as "community involvement". Shares, likes, dislikes, and comments all have the same value to YouTube. There is no penalty, but rather a reward for a dislike.

Doesn't mean you should go fishing for dislikes though.
But it doesn't look good of a video if the video has lots of dislikes.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
The fact of the matter is people just suck. Some dislike things just to do it. Yeah, I understand that sometimes, it can help you get a better read on a video (and maybe save a little time.) People don't realize what goes into the video, though. As long as you're happy with your work, that's the only like that should truly count

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
You work really hard on a video, spend hours editing. You're so proud of it and you finally upload it because you think it's great and funny and people are going to love it and guess what THEY DO. People comment on it saying it's great, they like it, you even get a couple subscribers from it! But then...someone clicks that dislike button and you think, why?
Here's the thing, you won't ever know why! All you need to know is that you worked hard and you're happy with what you created and you've made other people happy with what you created. Don't see that dislike as a defeat, you'll never be able to please everyone. As long as you're happy with what you posted, nothing else matters.
xo Lo
Some people dislike videos due to jealously. Sometimes they don't agree with our personalities, some think it's funny to just do. But, I'd just ignore the dislikes, unless you're making a video where you want to figure out a new format for.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
People are mean. Can be hard when you are first starting out your channel, but as you grow your channel it will get better, the few dislikes that you get will start to get more outnumbered by likes. Best to try to ignore it and don't take it personally. Also as others have said dislikes still count towards viewer engagement the same as likes do.

Reactions: CarbonMeister

Jasper de Zwaan

Freedom! Member
Oct 9, 2015
Beijing
YouTube
jasperdezwaan
xo Lo

I agree! I just see that dislike button as a feedback that i can always improve and decrease the amount of dislikes i get. Altho i am a really small channel i still get dislikes and they motivate me to do better.

Reactions: Megz & Lo

Megz & Lo

Rising User
Feb 14, 2016
YouTube
Everything said here is all really good points! I'm glad you guys don't take it personally and don't get discouraged. Sometimes everyone needs a reminder that their hard work does pay off and even if one person didn't enjoy a video is doesn't compare to the many others that did.
Xo Lo

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Everything said here is all really good points! I'm glad you guys don't take it personally and don't get discouraged. Sometimes everyone needs a reminder that their hard work does pay off and even if one person didn't enjoy a video is doesn't compare to the many others that did.
Xo Lo
Yeah, I can understand that people can discouraged, I do too at times. We should be thinking about the future really, and how we'll be entertaining the masses ^^

The Gaming Heretic

Well-Known User
Aug 1, 2014
YouTube
xo Lo

I would take it one more step.. Even if you upload it and everyone hates it.. Something you made created a reaction.. Good or bad, it's not melancholy or netural. I would say that creating a reaction is as much a win whether positive or negative.

Additionally, Interactions (thumbs down) do actually help improve your searchability.. You win no matter what.. LET THE HATE BEGIN.. as it were

DFV_YT

New User
Mar 28, 2016
Cork, Ireland
YouTube
DaFoxVox_YT
xo Lo
From what I've read, you actually get boosted up in the search results of YouTube and Google for having dislikes. It counts at viewer retention or something like that.

No need to worry about the dislikes. As people have said, it's down to jealousy and trolls. ;)

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
I would take it one more step.. Even if you upload it and everyone hates it.. Something you made created a reaction.. Good or bad, it's not melancholy or netural. I would say that creating a reaction is as much a win whether positive or negative.

Additionally, Interactions (thumbs down) do actually help improve your searchability.. You win no matter what.. LET THE HATE BEGIN.. as it were
The dislikes might help your video, but it really sucks when you spend hours on a video and then it gets disliked a whole bunch of times...

CarbonMeister

Call Of Duty YouTuber
Freedom! Member
Jan 2, 2016
YouTube
Not true, you don't want to be known on YouTube in a bad way.
Odds are if your dislikes are overpowering your likes you won't be "Known" on youtube lol i was speaking on behalf of how he was stating that he got 1 dislike and Dislikes and Likes are treated the exact same on youtube as far as rating system goes, And if you're known on youtube in a bad way odds are you fished for that lol

The Gaming Heretic

Well-Known User
Aug 1, 2014
YouTube
The dislikes might help your video, but it really sucks when you spend hours on a video and then it gets disliked a whole bunch of times...

Eh, again I disagree.. I made someone have an emotion.. Also, worst case scenario? Someone on the internet I don't know and will probably never meet didn't like my video.. OH NOES! .. but that's me ;)

This Is Ethan

Respected User
Freedom! Member
May 7, 2015
YouTube
Eh, again I disagree.. I made someone have an emotion.. Also, worst case scenario? Someone on the internet I don't know and will probably never meet didn't like my video.. OH NOES! .. but that's me ;)
Some people just dislike for no reason, which ruins it for everybody though :/

xo Lo
KEEP ON SHINING YOU CRAZY DIAMOND <33
I mean dislikes are disappointing, but what really irks me is a lot of people I know have been getting dislike botted, either now or in the past, and people have even done it to me and it's like
"Why do you care so much to waste both your time and mine with this bs"
because it's pretty obvious when you go from 0 dislikes to 20 in the matter of 2 minutes it's not just some people not liking your content :T