Bel Geode

Rising User
Feb 17, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
YouTube
"Good Evening!!!"

You know, I have been a part of the Freedom family for a little over a year now (since February 2015), and I just realized I never formally introduced myself OR my channel?!!? Let's fix that this instant!

Who Am I?

My name is Drew B, from Pittsburgh PA, and I am better known by my former stage name, turned gamer name Bel Geode (short for Belenos Geode). By the way it is pronounced BELL - GEE - OHD, in case you were wondering. It literally means Earthy Sun God... and is a play on words since I come from the tropics. It does not get more unique than that... Pretty much anything you google with BelGeode will come up as me.

For 26 years I was a musician (bassist/vocalist) for about 13 different bands of varying levels of local or regional fame, and of various music styles ranging from death metal to world fusion, rock, to reggae. Three years ago I discovered livestreaming, and by proxy, putting up gaming videos on YouTube. Inspired by the likes of Jesse Cox, when I became unemployed, I decided to delve in headfirst into YouTube gaming videos, and slowly but surely, began my channel, also called BelGeode.

I had been able to make some decent money in tips on Twitch.tv, but when I became employed with my current job, it became unfeasible for me to continue livestreaming, so I opted to just create videos for YouTube instead. It is about that time I joined Freedom, and I have to say it has been the BEST move of my video career.

What Do I Do?

My primary audience are those who are into aviation, in particular flight simulators. I deeply admire fellow youtubers such as Froogle, Novawing24, BunyapSims, Ranger79Productions, and FlightSimGuy, and I have found a niche with the simulation community where I am accepted and loved. I currently sit at around 1100 viewers, and most of them are regular watchers.

Whereas a lot of the above named people do news type shows or add on/DLC reviews, I prefer to tell stories. My grandmother always told me to have a good story to tell (she wrote books and poems for me as a kid). To that end, I currently have three major series going at this time-

Microsoft Flight Simulator X- Steam Edition: "Tomcattery Across The USA"

In this series I am flying "the last" Grumman F-14 Tomcat fighter across the USA from Pittsburgh PA, to Portland, OR, with my trusty copilot and girlfriend Allyanis (or "Ally"). In each city we stop, we try to get in some bonus flights and invariably something goes wrong, or something funny happens to make our stay longer.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X- Steam Edition: "VIETNAM ERA"

In this series, each episode I feature one aircraft that was made famous (or in some cases infamous) during the Vietnam War. I explain the history of the aircraft, as I fly it on a mock mission that pilots of that era would have had to do. Often times I will feature additional crewmen or wingmen voiced by me.

DCS World
In this series I do combat missions with various fighter jets, or helicopters that the game offers. I will often do entire campaign series lasting about 10 or so episodes, that chronicle the stories of either American pilot Captain "Bel Geode", or Ukrainian pilot "Chernyy Rossii" (translates to Black Russian, a play on words).

~~~~~

In addition to these staples, I am also doing lets plays of the following videos:
Fallout 4
Black Desert Online
SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic)

While these three get a lot less views, I primarily do them because I ENJOY these games, and want to feature them, not because I expect to be the biggest or best. These three are my way of relaxing and enjoying the game and its stories, instead of having to make stories of my own and do the legwork to retell them as with the flight simulators.

I hope you will check out my channel, and find something you like. I try to stay regular with my videos, and I am EXTREMELY engaging with my audience. I respond to just about every comment I have on any of my videos, no matter how old the video is. Many have also followed me on Facebook or Twitter. If you do end up following me, shout out my catchphrase whenever I blow something up- "BOOMFLOWAH"!

Thank you for the privilege of being a part of the Freedom family, and I'll see you all on YouTube!
As I like to say at the end of every video... Ciao!

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
"Good Evening!!!"

You know, I have been a part of the Freedom family for a little over a year now (since February 2015), and I just realized I never formally introduced myself OR my channel?!!? Let's fix that this instant!

Who Am I?

My name is Drew B, from Pittsburgh PA, and I am better known by my former stage name, turned gamer name Bel Geode (short for Belenos Geode). By the way it is pronounced BELL - GEE - OHD, in case you were wondering. It literally means Earthy Sun God... and is a play on words since I come from the tropics. It does not get more unique than that... Pretty much anything you google with BelGeode will come up as me.

For 26 years I was a musician (bassist/vocalist) for about 13 different bands of varying levels of local or regional fame, and of various music styles ranging from death metal to world fusion, rock, to reggae. Three years ago I discovered livestreaming, and by proxy, putting up gaming videos on YouTube. Inspired by the likes of Jesse Cox, when I became unemployed, I decided to delve in headfirst into YouTube gaming videos, and slowly but surely, began my channel, also called BelGeode.

I had been able to make some decent money in tips on Twitch.tv, but when I became employed with my current job, it became unfeasible for me to continue livestreaming, so I opted to just create videos for YouTube instead. It is about that time I joined Freedom, and I have to say it has been the BEST move of my video career.

What Do I Do?

My primary audience are those who are into aviation, in particular flight simulators. I deeply admire fellow youtubers such as Froogle, Novawing24, BunyapSims, Ranger79Productions, and FlightSimGuy, and I have found a niche with the simulation community where I am accepted and loved. I currently sit at around 1100 viewers, and most of them are regular watchers.

Whereas a lot of the above named people do news type shows or add on/DLC reviews, I prefer to tell stories. My grandmother always told me to have a good story to tell (she wrote books and poems for me as a kid). To that end, I currently have three major series going at this time-

/QUOTE]
That's an incredible amount of words to write for an introduction, I'm glad you take your time here seriously! Good evening to you too Bel, it's morning here at the moment for me. Jesse Cox is an inspiration to me in a way, he's just so lovable with everything he does :p Livestreaming is hard to manage when you have restricted time schedules, but I hope that you can work well with everything in the future. Freedom has a lot of random insight to offer, and the members here are a joy to be with ^^

Reactions: Bel Geode

Bel Geode

Rising User
Feb 17, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
YouTube

I should have also mentioned that I have been a writing of gaming reviews and blogs in the past. LOL! Hence the many words. Being "short and sweet" is not my forté.

Nuke

Proud Nerd & YouTuber
Freedom! Member
"Good Evening!!!"

Who Am I?

What Do I Do?

Microsoft Flight Simulator X- Steam Edition: "Tomcattery Across The USA"

In this series I am flying "the last" Grumman F-14 Tomcat fighter across the USA from Pittsburgh PA, to Portland, OR, with my trusty copilot and girlfriend Allyanis (or "Ally"). In each city we stop, we try to get in some bonus flights and invariably something goes wrong, or something funny happens to make our stay longer.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X- Steam Edition: "VIETNAM ERA"

In this series, each episode I feature one aircraft that was made famous (or in some cases infamous) during the Vietnam War. I explain the history of the aircraft, as I fly it on a mock mission that pilots of that era would have had to do. Often times I will feature additional crewmen or wingmen voiced by me.

DCS World
In this series I do combat missions with various fighter jets, or helicopters that the game offers. I will often do entire campaign series lasting about 10 or so episodes, that chronicle the stories of either American pilot Captain "Bel Geode", or Ukrainian pilot "Chernyy Rossii" (translates to Black Russian, a play on words).

~~~~~

In addition to these staples, I am also doing lets plays of the following videos:
Fallout 4
Black Desert Online
SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic)

While these three get a lot less views, I primarily do them because I ENJOY these games, and want to feature them, not because I expect to be the biggest or best. These three are my way of relaxing and enjoying the game and its stories, instead of having to make stories of my own and do the legwork to retell them as with the flight simulators.

I hope you will check out my channel, and find something you like. I try to stay regular with my videos, and I am EXTREMELY engaging with my audience. I respond to just about every comment I have on any of my videos, no matter how old the video is. Many have also followed me on Facebook or Twitter. If you do end up following me, shout out my catchphrase whenever I blow something up- "BOOMFLOWAH"!

Thank you for the privilege of being a part of the Freedom family, and I'll see you all on YouTube!
As I like to say at the end of every video... Ciao!
Welcome to the forums and best of luck to you with your YouTube and your gaming adventures :)

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
I should have also mentioned that I have been a writing of gaming reviews and blogs in the past. LOL! Hence the many words. Being "short and sweet" is not my forté.
I've been writing a lot more when it comes to my descriptions, but on Freedom, I've been going overdrive, hah. Do you have any tips for staying focused on writing blogs?

Bel Geode

Rising User
Feb 17, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
YouTube
I've been writing a lot more when it comes to my descriptions, but on Freedom, I've been going overdrive, hah. Do you have any tips for staying focused on writing blogs?

Yeah, remember that thing that we all learned in English class that NO ONE ever paid attention to. It was called the outline?

Before any blog (and this even works with my scripting on those RARE situations where I need to do scripted Voiceover to my videos), do a quick outline with bullet points, or numbers, dashes, whatever works for you. As you are writing, remember each section or bullet point will be part of your chapter. Example

1- How to write an outline
A- Inspiration
i- Sit at your seat
ii- turn on your computer
iii- just DO IT.

As you go through writing, you will see how it all flows together. If something is not flowing right, then go back to your outline and either rearrange, or take out (replace) what is not working for you.

You can make a ton out outlines on various subjects, then schedule time to flesh out the blog itself when you feel like (THAT is the hard part. People are procrastinators sometimes). I used to write outlines on napkins when I was at the bar or restaurant... I do not recommend doing it on dates though.

Believe me, it is a lot easier than it sounds, and I give props to my English teacher- Miss Scharf for lighting that fire under me to get me to learn this. It has helped immeasurably in my life!

Reactions: Nuke

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Yeah, remember that thing that we all learned in English class that NO ONE ever paid attention to. It was called the outline?

Before any blog (and this even works with my scripting on those RARE situations where I need to do scripted Voiceover to my videos), do a quick outline with bullet points, or numbers, dashes, whatever works for you. As you are writing, remember each section or bullet point will be part of your chapter. Example

1- How to write an outline
A- Inspiration
i- Sit at your seat
ii- turn on your computer
iii- just DO IT.

As you go through writing, you will see how it all flows together. If something is not flowing right, then go back to your outline and either rearrange, or take out (replace) what is not working for you.

You can make a ton out outlines on various subjects, then schedule time to flesh out the blog itself when you feel like (THAT is the hard part. People are procrastinators sometimes). I used to write outlines on napkins when I was at the bar or restaurant... I do not recommend doing it on dates though.

Believe me, it is a lot easier than it sounds, and I give props to my English teacher- Miss Scharf for lighting that fire under me to get me to learn this. It has helped immeasurably in my life!
An outline would be fantastic, hah. Thinking ahead is smart, and planning everything out step by step can achieve a lot of results. I'm amazed that you responded so quickly with all of that information. I need to increase my typing speed, and critical thinking skills :eek: Flow is something I definitely need to work on. I've been putting off the blogs lately, but I'm making progress on getting it done ^^ I appreciate that your English teacher taught you well ^^

Bel Geode

Rising User
Feb 17, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
YouTube
Trust and believe, so do I. When I first met my English teacher I was your typical "Oh here we freaking go" teenager. I judged her without really knowing her. It took for when we were in the state championships for journalism in Orlando, for me to see her as a human with my best interests at heart. From that point on, we were the best of friends. Needless to say, English made a whole lot more sense from that point onward.

I am forever grateful for teachers like her.

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Trust and believe, so do I. When I first met my English teacher I was your typical "Oh here we freaking go" teenager. I judged her without really knowing her. It took for when we were in the state championships for journalism in Orlando, for me to see her as a human with my best interests at heart. From that point on, we were the best of friends. Needless to say, English made a whole lot more sense from that point onward.

I am forever grateful for teachers like her.
Hah, it's insane how different our life can be due to one teacher. Imagine if every teacher left an impact on you like her, we'd be even better people because of it. Teachers need to be appreciated more :eek: I'm glad that you got a lot out of that experience. Hopefully you can leave an impact on the people you meet for the future as well ^^

Bel Geode

Rising User
Feb 17, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
YouTube
Hah, it's insane how different our life can be due to one teacher. Imagine if every teacher left an impact on you like her, we'd be even better people because of it. Teachers need to be appreciated more :eek: I'm glad that you got a lot out of that experience. Hopefully you can leave an impact on the people you meet for the future as well ^^

I am a bit biased because my mother was a teacher when I was in elementary school. So all my life I have been surrounded by good role models.

That is part of my goal with the videos. It is more than just entertainment for me. I hope I am educating people at the same time (well not in the case of things like Fallout 4, that is just pure unadulterated FUN!)

I used to be in charge of a virtual airline (yes there is such a thing), and I was flattered and impressed that some of the (then) teens that were a part of the group who took it seriously, ended up being real life pilots with the airliners or with the military. That makes me proud to know I helped shape them into who they would become.

And hi LegendaryPulse! Glad to be here!!

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
I am a bit biased because my mother was a teacher when I was in elementary school. So all my life I have been surrounded by good role models.

That is part of my goal with the videos. It is more than just entertainment for me. I hope I am educating people at the same time (well not in the case of things like Fallout 4, that is just pure unadulterated FUN!)

I used to be in charge of a virtual airline (yes there is such a thing), and I was flattered and impressed that some of the (then) teens that were a part of the group who took it seriously, ended up being real life pilots with the airliners or with the military. That makes me proud to know I helped shape them into who they would become.

And hi LegendaryPulse! Glad to be here!!
I was in Martial Arts for a while, and the positivity there was a shock to me. It's strange when a group of people can be happy all the time. It made everything easier for me, and gave me a decent chunk of social skills as well. Hah, educating or not, both ways can be rewarding in a lot of ways :p When people take their job seriously, at any age, it will make me happy at the end of the day. Hard working people need to get more credit around here.

Bel Geode

Rising User
Feb 17, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
YouTube
Martial arts is cool! My cousin in Florida does that (Jiu Jitsu I believe).

It is my hope that all of us content creators inspire others, the same way I have in the music industry. This "job" is a blessing if looked at it with the right attitude. After all, how many in the world can say we get paid to make videos for people to watch? LOL!

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Martial arts is cool! My cousin in Florida does that (Jiu Jitsu I believe).

It is my hope that all of us content creators inspire others, the same way I have in the music industry. This "job" is a blessing if looked at it with the right attitude. After all, how many in the world can say we get paid to make videos for people to watch? LOL!
I practiced a random art called "Kuk Sool Won", for about six years :p I feel the same way, we need to bring each other to new heights. It's great when you have companions that help you go the extra mile. Getting paid for making videos would be everyone's dream hah. Lastly, I need to head off for now, but it was nice getting to know more about you Bel, it sounds like you'll be set for the future! Learn and grow as often as possibly ^^