What to do with old videos you are not happy with

icdeee

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 11, 2015
London, UK
YouTube
There are some old videos on my Channel that I am not happy with, mostly because they were done using lower quality equipment (compared to the recent ones), or that they simply don't sound very good (make me cringe when listening back).. Curiously enough (not..) most of these happen to have the lowest viewcount as well.

This is probably a bit of a stupid question but just wondered what people think - if you were in my place would you delete them or keep them on the Channel?

There is only one argument for the latter, which is to keep them for revenue purposes (although most of these generate only the least amount of Ad earnings). I can think of more reasons to delete them - e.g. from an artist's point of view to keep my Channel cleaner with only high quality works, or simply because they are an eyesore.

What would you guys do? Apart from me is there anyone out there who has this regular cleanup process where you go through old videos you are no longer satisfied with and delete them?

Reactions: Snaggle Teef

Snaggle Teef

Utter Legend!
Freedom! Member
Jan 23, 2015
Texas!
www.snaggleteef.com
SnaggleTeef
I generally keep mine! Well now I do before I deleted them and I wish I wouldn't have... Why you may ask? Well I'll tell ya!

For the videos that I happened to keep. I like to look back on how I started, see what changes I've made, what about my process has changed. And if it was for the better, Plus, It's like a memento! Low rez, crappy narrative, crude, dry humor, little to no commentary. It's great to look back on, and when you grow it can be a future video of you reacting to your old videos!

My personal opinion, if you don't want your mass amounts of viewers seeing them, switch it to private and store them in a playlist only you can go back and reflect on, Heck you may even be able to redo them, and do a comparison video later on to bring in even more people!

I do hope this helps! (y) (Y)(y) (Y)

Reactions: icdeee

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
I have revamped my channel and sorted out video's. I had some series i was palnning to make but stopped after 2 video's due to i didn't like the game. The video's itself didn't recieve much vieuws so i deleted them to clean up and keep my channel organized. It is a personal thing but i decided to delete it.

Reactions: Snaggle Teef

Flex Bormarr

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2015
Iowa
YouTube
I just keep mine up, even though you could put them in one of those cringe compilation......... I literally cringed just thinking about them XD

ReesFitz92

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Nov 25, 2015
UK
YouTube
I keep some but I also put some private. Like said above sometimes I've started a series but just couldn't get into the game so I make them private just incase I decide to go at the series again.

TotalGamerHolic

Distinguished User
Nov 4, 2014
US, Ohio
YouTube
I keep em even if I'm displeased with how they turned out. If they are videos for a series I've abandoned then I usually delete them all. Ex: I started a Mother 3 walk through and only got up to 9 parts recorded. I then never made another part so I just dumped all the videos.

Snaggle Teef

Utter Legend!
Freedom! Member
Jan 23, 2015
Texas!
www.snaggleteef.com
SnaggleTeef
I actually went back to the first video i posted and watched it because of what was mentioned in this thread, and i'd have to say I've gotten better from what i once posted to where I am now! I actually think I was better at commentating than i gave myself credit for lol.

King Wolfe

Jul 23, 2014
Texas
YouTube
keep them. one of my first videos i recorded with an iphone capturing game play lol...ive came a long way since then but i keep it there to remind smaller channels that we all started from the beginning and discipline dedication and determination will make your numbers grow. never give up and stay consistent

Believe

Renowned User
Aug 19, 2014
YouTube
watching old videos allways funny, its feel very happy while watching those especially those videos like sweet gifts who started thier youtube channel without any proper console or pc!

FallenShogun

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Oct 12, 2014
YouTube
I have privated a lot of my older videos, it's kind of hard for me to just outright delete them as I feel I would be removing a part of my journey, the really cringeworthy and terrible parts.

icdeee

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 11, 2015
London, UK
YouTube
Thanks so much all for the great response! Had an interesting disucssion going on here.. I think from my perspective I should have clarified - by 'deleting', I meant 'privating' as well i.e. basically taking it out of sight from my viewers. I think privating for me is the best balance so that I can still go back to videos I don't like to re-watch, as well as read the comments, but can hide them from my viewers.