That Gal with a Blog
Freedom! Member
Feb 24, 2015
Netherlands
www.twitch.tv
YouTube
LassyFenn
So yeah.

I am a single mom of 2 kids, still go to university and trying to struggle between being a mom, a student, a friend to people and doing what I like as a hobby to keep me from getting all depressed and too serious.

Yesterday was one of those days in school where I am like: What do I do with this??

My teacher came to me because I missed an assignment and last semester I missed out on 3 classes. She wanted to speak to me about this, and rained down on me that I planned wrong, I was slacking and I needed to get myself together. She had people in her class who had a job, I don't and if I wanted to game every evening instead of learning I should not be in uni.

Needless to say I was shocked.

I don't game every evening... I work hard to make ends meet on welfare and my study is my way to get ahead. I missed classes because I could not afford the ticket of a total of 3 bus trips to get to the school, and back. I missed the assignment due to sickness of my youngest... throat infection be the real deal as a parent.

She stated she didn't want to know all the details of stuff that went wrong in my life, just to get it together and push to get things done.

When she left I was sitting there stunned. I still have no clue what to do with what she said. I work an average of 1,5 hours a day to 2 hours a day every day on my study. This with my 3 year old running around me demanding my attention. I struggle just around minimum wage, this to get my kids clothes, stuff for school for the oldest, and my books and trips back and forth. The teacher claimed I was looking for excuse to hide behind so I don't have to take responsibility. And on top of it, I was not setting much as an example for my kids. The last part pissed me off no end.

This coming from a teacher... me being in her class to learn how to be a teacher for kids who struggle with social skills, learning disability and social disadvantage...

Not sure still how to react to it all. I do know I am gonna continue and show her, that even if I slack sometimes due to personal issues, I won't tell her, but show her I can do this, and just give her the biggest middle finger that way... yet I am still sad and angry by what she told me

Chris

Filipino Let's Player <Astig>
Freedom! Member
Jan 3, 2014
www.gamerfuzion.com
YouTube
Well I think your teacher cares for your well being.She might just be challenging you to work harder and prove her wrong. Some teacher will not give a care if their student fail their class or pass. They only care for their next pay check. Just do not think of this as negative way. =D

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Everyone has bad days once in a while.
Maybe she was having a bad day herself...
And was taking out some of her frustration on you... Try not to take it personally...

In most work situations being late for anything can be a serious problem...

If I'm late for work... I don't get to work that day at all... and worse yet, I could be charged $500 for not showing up if I'm supposed to be there... and given a suspension of between 7-30 days...

So try not to let it bother you...
Just do your best.
Sometimes being a parent requires you to get in trouble once in a while for your kids.
It happens...

Reactions: ShadowGirl

ShadowGirl

That Gal with a Blog
Freedom! Member
Feb 24, 2015
Netherlands
www.twitch.tv
YouTube
LassyFenn
Everyone has bad days once in a while.
Maybe she was having a bad day herself...
And was taking out some of her frustration on you... Try not to take it personally...

In most work situations being late for anything can be a serious problem...

If I'm late for work... I don't get to work that day at all... and worse yet, I could be charged $500 for not showing up if I'm supposed to be there... and given a suspension of between 7-30 days...

So try not to let it bother you...
Just do your best.
Sometimes being a parent requires you to get in trouble once in a while for your kids.
It happens...

Thank you,

I am studying to become a teacher, and what she did is the first thing we learn is a no go...

Emicarn

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Not for nothing but it sounds like she was trying to motivate, but maybe in a direct "this is the real world" kinda way. I'm very much like that most of the time, will give you the shirt off my back but I don't mince words. As was mentioned, the instructor may have had a bad day, and that may have had something to do with it.

If she felt she was seeing a trend starting, a change in tactics in her mind was to shock you and make you think, which it obviously seems to have accomplished. Being a single mom, struggling to make ends meet, is hard all by itself, trying to add educating yourself it becomes worse.

I wouldn't take it to heart this time, unless it continues to be a thing.

Just my 0.02 from the old guy. ;)

Rich

Noritzu Gaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 11, 2016
Michigan
YouTube
Noritzu_Gaming
Just because someone has a title doesnt make them good at their job. being a nurse i've had years of schooling and some teachers are amazing, some are awful.

Don't let the bad ones discourage you. Anyone who automatically assumes you are being lazy without good cause isnt worth letting bother you, especially if at the end of the class you still make it through as planned.