White Hat vs Black Hat YouTubers

geauxburns

Rising User
Apr 3, 2016
USA
YouTube
The White/Black Hat origins dates back to Old Westerns, but most recently has also been used in the Hacker Community, the premise is basically the same; White Hat (Good) and Black Hat (Bad). Obviously, this form of categorization can be applied to other fields as well, including YouTubers.

This is especially true when it comes to Gaming Channels; some endeavor to post confirmed information that's been verified while debunking leaks and disinfo, however, other Channels thrive off fake information, posting content with misleading titles/tags as well as deceiving people for the sake of growing their channel as fast as possible with no disregard to the damage they cause.

Why is it so much more difficult to build a trusted YouTube Channel as opposed to whipping together one based around lies, cheats, and deception? Do viewers prefer having sweet nothings whispered in their ear by Black Hat YTers as opposed to White Hat YTers who strive to be open, honest, and credible with their Subscribers?

After two years of hard work building my Channel; it can be disheartening to see the shady types come out of nowhere and manage grow theirs like weeds. Hopefully, I have to believe that continuing to stay the course, while maintaining ones honesty, and holding on to my integrity will eventually pay off.

Even if I'm never meant to be a big YouTuber one day; I hope that at the very least this White Hat can aspire others not to take the Dark Path when it comes to the direction you choose to go with your YT Channel. It is my opinion that our Channel is a reflection of the person we truly are; hopefully those who watch my vids see me as the honest, funny, and crazy freak that I truly am. ;)

Reactions: Hail Kira

QuickDRW

New User
Feb 12, 2016
Scotland
YouTube
The ones that grow like weeds do not sustain their subs for too long. If you are passionate and consistent with what you do, it WILL work out for you.
That is very true, i have a friend who gained 200+ subs in one day. Eventually, i found out he sub'd for sub. Which was quite obvious since his video had very few views. My point is, never force something to grow. Just allow it to reach its full potential.

Reactions: geauxburns

UnstoppableFrost

Well-Known User
Mar 1, 2016
Australia
YouTube
A lot of people have that mindset when they aren't very big but when the channels blow up or get a lot of attention they tend to change to the 'Dark Side', same as you, i'd like to stay on the good side as much as I can even if something happens that lets my channel get attention, the most thing that drives people to start not caring about their viewers is the numbers that get to their head