Why is minecraft so popular?

russd3x

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Aug 28, 2015
Europe
YouTube
I've never really been asked this, or asked other people this question but it's something that has always come to my attention.. On every video I watch on YouTube in the suggested column there is always something to do with MINECRAFT. I mean yeah it's a good game and I paid for an account played it on and off for a year but I still don't understand all of the hype about it.
It's a simple minded game... That's all I see now, even the modded versions sort of lose purpose after a while..
So here's my question...
What do you think makes minecraft a good game?

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Because it's a very fun game that really never gets old as long as you are creative. Mods only increase creativity even further.

Especially if you really get into the complex areas of the game, such as red stone.
Also, to call it a simple minded game, is pretty unusual considering the things you can build in that game are only limited by the person playing it. I built a working red stone analog clock in the game as an example. Far from simple minded. In fact, it's probably one of the least simple minded games I have come across.

NannerAirCraft

Freedom! Member
Feb 15, 2015
YouTube
NannerManCan
As others in this thread have said you can build almost anything in this game and tons of people like to be creative and build cool stuff or just use the game to play with others and have a good time.

Reactions: russd3x

russd3x

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Aug 28, 2015
Europe
YouTube
Because it's a very fun game that really never gets old as long as you are creative. Mods only increase creativity even further.

Especially if you really get into the complex areas of the game, such as red stone.
Also, to call it a simple minded game, is pretty unusual considering the things you can build in that game are only limited by the person playing it. I built a working red stone analog clock in the game as an example. Far from simple minded. In fact, it's probably one of the least simple minded games I have come across.

I used to use Radstone quite a bit
And I understand your points. But after a while it does get very repetitive and lovebirds touch, both me and my sister both get like that and she's one of the most creatibe people I know.
But as stated I understand both of your points :)

TheAimGames

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2014
Where the sun doesn't shine
YouTube
It's just like Garry's Mod in a sense. They are both sandbox games and there's simply plently of things to do. For example, in Minecraft you can play Minigames, survive in the Survival World with other players, play on a PvP based server, play with mods and other tons of cool stuff.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I used to use Radstone quite a bit
And I understand your points. But after a while it does get very repetitive and lovebirds touch, both me and my sister both get like that and she's one of the most creatibe people I know.
But as stated I understand both of your points :)

I don't understand what you mean by repetitive. If building things is repetitive to you, then the game simply isn't for you. It's not like you have to build the same things over and over again. The idea is going outside of your comfort zone and constantly building new things you never have before.

Let's just face it. If you don't get it, you won't get it no matter how much I explain it to you. How about this, how about you just accept you don't get it, and move on. You can question what the hype is all about, but it's not going to matter .. because you will never get an answer that will satisfy you.

It's the same reason why I don't question other peoples tastes because it's just going to go no where.

russd3x

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Aug 28, 2015
Europe
YouTube
I don't understand what you mean by repetitive. If building things is repetitive to you, then the game simply isn't for you. It's not like you have to build the same things over and over again. The idea is going outside of your comfort zone and constantly building new things you never have before.

Let's just face it. If you don't get it, you won't get it no matter how much I explain it to you. How about this, how about you just accept you don't get it, and move on. You can question what the hype is all about, but it's not going to matter .. because you will never get an answer that will satisfy you.

It's the same reason why I don't question other peoples tastes because it's just going to go no where.

I wasn't having a go or being mad as I do understand. This thread is a discussion. And I wanted other peoples views and I respect your views. :)

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I wasn't having a go or being mad as I do understand. This thread is a discussion. And I wanted other peoples views and I respect your views. :)

I understand that, I am only pointing out that despite anyone else's views it's really not going to matter much. Also most people who enjoy minecraft are going to have just about the same answers. Answers you should honestly already be able to figure out on your own.

Are you saying you didn't know people enjoy minecraft because they like building / creating things? PvP? Survival? Progression? Multiplayer? ... I mean .. it's not exactly hard to figure out. Just list all the things you can do in the game, and there you go, a full list of why people enjoy it.

I am just curious on exactly what it is your looking for, what sort of discussion? What kind of answers?

russd3x

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Aug 28, 2015
Europe
YouTube
I am just looking for a nice dsicussion as to why people fidn the game interesting and/or disappointing and try to evaluate these.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I've never really been asked this, or asked other people this question but it's something that has always come to my attention.. On every video I watch on YouTube in the suggested column there is always something to do with MINECRAFT. I mean yeah it's a good game and I paid for an account played it on and off for a year but I still don't understand all of the hype about it.
It's a simple minded game... That's all I see now, even the modded versions sort of lose purpose after a while..
So here's my question...
What do you think makes minecraft a good game?
It's the infinite possibilities... you can basically make a Minecraft video about anything... meaning it's really easy to tent pole, or follow trends; using minecraft as a platform...

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
for me it was the first instance in which I could make something out of my imagination and others could see it. There hasnt been anything like that before.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Alot of people like it cause you can make stuff... but..

Personally I think your better off making stuff with real game making tools than to make stuff in minecraft...

Simply cause you can't export your creations as stand alone products...

For people to play in the world you create they have to also own minecraft. That is the brilliant concept that made minecraft so popular, it advertises itself via its users...

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Alot of people like it cause you can make stuff... but..

Personally I think your better off making stuff with real game making tools than to make stuff in minecraft...

Simply cause you can't export your creations as stand alone products...

For people to play in the world you create they have to also own minecraft. That is the brilliant concept that made minecraft so popular, it advertises itself via its users...

Minecraft is simply more accessible to people and easier to use than actual game dev tools. Also, minecraft makes it fairly easy to get people to actually take a look due to how popular the game is. Getting people to look simply with game dev tools, you are going to need to make something pretty damned awesome.

M.Adams

Oct 10, 2014
Mid West USA
YouTube
I like the fact that it's an endless game that can be several different games at once. Theres the general survival or creative if you want to build things. There's multiplayer where you can not only play with your friends, but play survival, arcade modes, mini games, or just sit around and punch trees all day (if that's your kind of fun). If you get bored of just plain survival, you can spice things up with 1,000's of mods :)

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
It is an endless, open world sandbox where the only limit is your imagination.

you can spice things up with 1,000's of mods

All of the mods! If you don't want to fuddle yourself with figuring out how to install mods, you can always use the Technic launcher, which will install Minecraft Vanilla and a modpack using your login information.

If I am correct, the Technic Launcher also allows you to make custom modpacks using mods from their forum or other places, and you can add custom modpacks others have made using some kind of code present in their forum. Really easy, even for a non-computer guy.

M.Adams

Oct 10, 2014
Mid West USA
YouTube
It is an endless, open world sandbox where the only limit is your imagination.

All of the mods! If you don't want to fuddle yourself with figuring out how to install mods, you can always use the Technic launcher, which will install Minecraft Vanilla and a modpack using your login information.

If I am correct, the Technic Launcher also allows you to make custom modpacks using mods from their forum or other places, and you can add custom modpacks others have made using some kind of code present in their forum. Really easy, even for a non-computer guy.

Ooo yes very true. ATLauncher is also a very popular one. :) It's a lot easier than trying to install all the mods yourself. Plus time saver too :)

Reactions: Nolan Westmore