YouTube How Much Does Editing Software Actually Affect The Quality of Videos?

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
I recently got into a conversation with this guy on a YouTuber forum about editing software. He said that if I wanted to improve the overall quality of my videos I should look into some more professional software, which I already have installed somewhere on my PC just doing nothing, but I still use MM. Here's the full story:

When my channel first began 4 years ago, I used MM for editing my videos, for about the first 2 years. Then the same point of getting better software came up again as I tried to improve my videos to try and get a even bigger audience than the one I had at time (which is smaller now, ironically, despite improved quality.) So I got Pinnacle Ultimate. I used it for a short while before actually switching back to Movie Maker. Why? Well for one main reason: It was more work to get everything into order to get the exact same product that I could've made in MM in a lot less time.

And it's wasn't about knowing how to use the program either. The guy I talked to even suggested I "learn how to use a better program while using MM, then fully switch when I am comfortable with it". But it wasn't about that either. I knew perfectly well how to use Pinnacle Ultimate and all its features.

Plus in all of my time using Movie Maker, I never had a situation where I thought "Oh, that would be nice to add to my video", only then to discover I cannot do it due to Movie Maker's limitations.

So what do you think of all of this?

Vigilant

Aug 24, 2017
YouTube
TheVigilantYT
I used to use MM, until it started giving me way too many incompatibility issues and such.

I think that a more professional editing software like Premeire Pro or Sony Vegas is MUCH better.

1) You can place images over the video, and include multiple layers and effects.

2) Most softwares come with hundreds of built in transitions and effects.

3) Easier to manage everything on the timeline in Premire Pro than Movie Maker.

4) Faster and better rendering for higher quality videos.

5) Better performance and still supported, since MM isnt' support by Microsoft anymore it will run into bugs and nobody will fix it.

I think it is better to start the switch now, that way in the future you're prepared. :)

avrona

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2018
YouTube
avronaofficial
Didn't know Movie Maker was discontinued. Thankfully I haven't ran into any bugs in it since I started using it 4 years ago.

But like I said, I don't personally see a point of getting other software. Like I said, I even have "professional" editing software on my PC, I just don't use it as it just took more time to make something I could've made more easily in MM.

Vigilant

Aug 24, 2017
YouTube
TheVigilantYT
Didn't know Movie Maker was discontinued. Thankfully I haven't ran into any bugs in it since I started using it 4 years ago.

But like I said, I don't personally see a point of getting other software. Like I said, I even have "professional" editing software on my PC, I just don't use it as it just took more time to make something I could've made more easily in MM.

Just watched one of your videos and seems like your channel wouldn't greatly benefit from a ton of editing right now, however some of your other videos (
) may benefit more from the advanced editing because you can put really nice transitions and multiple forms of information on screen at the same time.

NicDaFish

New User
Freedom! Member
Jan 27, 2018
YouTube
I feel like it is not the software that affects the videos but the person behind it. Personally I do use both Final Cut Pro and Premier and they come out great but these tools are complicated. It is best to learn easier tools on budgets then move up.

Big Dog Studios

New User
Freedom! Member
Nov 22, 2017
Wenacthee, Washington
YouTube
There is a very good free video editor software that allows you alot of stuff to include in your video editing. Its called OpenShot. I used it and love its features and the addons to include to your videos

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I would say it all depends on what type of content your doing and what you think you might achieve / make better with the editing. For example if your doing product reviews or things like that then the video may not need a whole lot of editing, and as such its quality wouldn't be effected if you didn't have much editing. Whereas if you were doing a top 10 video for example and wanted the professional finish then definitely having more editing would be in order

Lambda D

New User
Jan 29, 2018
YouTube
I use Final Cut Pro X. Editing is everything on my YouTube channel. I think it's crucial, even if you're not making stuff that's editing heavy, cause with it you always have the option. If you're not a Mac user, you should get Premiere Pro.