Is going from 8gb to 16gb of ram really worth it for editing?

aweblade4

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Aug 15, 2014
Arvada, CO
YouTube
Is going from 8gb to 16gb of ram really worth it? I'm just really skeptical on upgrading right now. However I was really skeptical about getting an ssd, but now I can't live without it, but I would like some feedback first.

Jasper de Zwaan

Freedom! Member
Oct 9, 2015
Beijing
YouTube
jasperdezwaan
I don't really know much about computers but i edit my videos on a macbook pro with 16gb of ram with a 500gb SSD, Its really fast, but i think go for an SSD, only if your computer is lagging out while you're editing then maybe upgrade, if not stick with 8gb of ram :)

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
If you're dedicated to video editing, doing it every day at long hours each day, then I'd say yes. If you don't do it that often, then stay with 8gb of RAM 'cause it's good enough. 16gb is real nice, though.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
16GB is more of a luxury than a necessity. It's not going to net you a great gaming boost unless all slots on your motherboard are sated.

I have 32GB, but I can't discern any difference between now and when I had 16GB. I think it'd more or less be a bragging right.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Ram wont change performance that much... unless you find that you are running short on ram... i have 16gb on my machine...

You can monitor your ram usage with you task manager and see if you are getting close to running out when editing. I think it may only be an issue if you are working on very large projects.

If your system used up all its ram it tends to freeze/crash programs. So if your not having that problem you are probably ok for now, but will probably need to upgrade eventually as time goes on...

Btw most editing programs speed is determined mostly by your cpu... with your case your cpu is close to as fast as you can get unless you switched to an intel.

Reactions: Viowolf

Viowolf

Freedom! Member
Jan 13, 2015
YouTube
Ram wont change performance that much... unless you find that you are running short on ram... i have 16gb on my machine...

You can monitor your ram usage with you task manager and see if you are getting close to running out when editing. I think it may only be an issue if you are working on very large projects.

If your system used up all its ram it tends to freeze/crash programs. So if your not having that problem you are probably ok for now, but will probably need to upgrade eventually as time goes on...

Btw most editing programs speed is determined mostly by your cpu... with your case your cpu is close to as fast as you can get unless you switched to an intel.

This is the correct answer when it comes to encoding. Unless you are encoding multiple videos/streams at once your not going to see a reduction in queue time. If you really want to see a reduction in queue time, you will want to get a Intel CPU and in turn an Intel motherboard. The competitor to the one in your system is the i7-4770K, but there are better models than this one that are faster.

Vers

Jan 30, 2016
probably not. i used to have 8 and recently upgraded to 16, and the only difference i've noticed is because of the MHz in what my current ram uses

Frank Ash

Freedom! Member
Dec 19, 2015
YouTube
Is going from 8gb to 16gb of ram really worth it? I'm just really skeptical on upgrading right now. However I was really skeptical about getting an ssd, but now I can't live without it, but I would like some feedback first.
The Upgrade Would Help You In Rendering Time.

Elias Frost

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 16, 2016
YouTube
EliasFrostTwits
I think that 16gb is really good for rendering purposes, but there is one thing you should keep in mind: the size of your single project folder, if your raw footage for a single video is less then 5-6gb(and you don't use heavy plugins) - ram upgrade is unnecessary.

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
It depends entirely on the resolution you are rendering / recording at. It you are at 1080p or below then it won't make any noticeable difference. If you are doing 2k / 4k then yes, it will help as those will require more memory use.

Otherwise the biggest boost would come from a CPU or GPU upgrade depending on if you use hardware acceleration or not.

Elias Frost

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 16, 2016
YouTube
EliasFrostTwits
Half of 2160p is 1080p
Half of 4K is 2K
2K = 1080p?
That's what I thought atleast
letter "K" means "thousand"(kilo) and 2K/4K/8K means that width of video(display) is 2000/4000/8000 pixels.
1080p means that the height is 1080 pixels.
so 2K is not 1080p.
it's like to compare "thin" with "tall"

Eldridge Coutinho

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 16, 2016
India
www.youtube.com
YouTube